Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: wallmart western lump

I picked up two bags yesterday......................................... .I have 400 #'s of charcoal in my garage now, no room for more.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    The Labor Day sales are coming, I’ve been too busy to have used up most of my summer buy! I will “top things off” when the sale hits. That’s “Just in case” I get seriously motivated. Save when you can is kind of my mantra.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I'm starting to like this lump - if I can keep it from shooting at me.

If the price drops to clearance levels, I'll stock up instead of buying Kingsford.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB Member
    I cooked 2 pizzas with this last night with it. seemed to burn fine, no "off" flavors once lit.

Yesterday, I broke out the 18" WSM to smoke sausage patties & such with Western lump.

I used a single layer of Royal Oak briquettes on the bottom grate to keep small lump bits from falling through, and I then topped the ring with lump. I lit a half chimney load of left over coals, and dumped the hot load on the Western via Minion style. I made sure to let the smoker burn off for at least an hour before adding meat. So far, I can't recall any strong off-odors within the finished product. I added a chunk of pecan for extra flavor.

Popping coals wasn't much of an issue, although if I opened the door, the popping got worse.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 08-27-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Picked up another bag today for $4, so I've bought 90 lbs for $14 total, or about 16 cents per lb.
    I still have a full 30 lb. bag of KJ Big Block lump from a Costco sale, and some Timber lump.
    Had to dig through this pile to find one without rips.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Wish our Walmart had some, even though I don't have any room for anymore charcoal (or grills). I would figure out something.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Yesterday, I broke out the 18" WSM to smoke sausage patties & such with Western lump.

I used a single layer of Royal Oak briquettes on the bottom grate to keep small lump bits from falling through, and I then topped the ring with lump. I lit a half chimney load of left over coals, and dumped the hot load on the Western via Minion style. I made sure to let the smoker burn off for at least an hour before adding meat. So far, I can't recall any strong off-odors within the finished product. I added a chunk of pecan for extra flavor.

Popping coals wasn't much of an issue, although if I opened the door, the popping got worse.
    I take that back.

There is a bit of an off flavor in these sausage patties. It sort of tastes like the lump smelled the first time I tried Western lump.

I'll go back to American-made charcoal for smoking purposes.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Not one bag at my Walmart at ANY kind of break! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
    Some of you guys have at least twenty pound garages, mine is only ten and I’ve got twelve pounds of stuff in it already in before I add the winter load of lawn furniture (additional “5” pounds!)sheesh!
    186 lb. in the back of the Jeep as ballast, until I use that up and about the same filling up the spot where the 22” WSM used to live!
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 09-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Got plenty on hand, but no price drop yet. (there's a heap of Royal Oak lump in the background too)

I did see a 99.00 price tag on a 2-burner Q grill though.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456