Cleaning up SS rod grates

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So, my current rehab project (Genesis E310) has a set of SS rod grates that seem to be in good shape aside from a lot of burned on gunk. If they were for me, I would just get after them good with a SS bristle brush and call it a day, but this is a rehab and I want to reuse the grates (Probably Weber brand). It is all about presentation when reselling, so I want to get them as clean and SHINY as possible. I was thinking about getting after them with my angle grinder and wire cup brush and then maybe some steel wool and simple green. Good idea/bad idea? Any better ideas?

Maybe just try some oven cleaner and let it sit in a plastic bag for a while. You might have to do this a few times.

Yah, But I don't think that will get them shiny....or would it. I have never had much luck using oven cleaner for anything, including the oven.

I had the grates from my curb-found Summit Gold media blasted at a friends shop. Not agressive like sand so it didn’t profile the surface. They came out looking fantastic!

Yah, that would be nice. I would also love to have access to something like that for cleaning out the fire boxes as well.

I guess that since I don't have a definitive answer, what would it harm for me to hit them with the grinder and wire brush? Can I really hurt them if they are solid stainless?

Bruce,

Here is a strange idea that I got from the WKC for restoring the "triangle" pieces at the bottom of the kettle grills. They recommend you use a razor scraper gliding straight down the pieces. It sounds a little odd, but it worked GREAT on my old kettle project. Their advice is primarily aimed at removing rust, but I would think crudded on stuff would be similar. I do know the triangles are just chromed steel, and I admit I haven't tried it yet on stainless. Still, the application isn't that different, and I think it might work or at least help. It doesn't even take as long as you might think.

BEFORE
2vmf4hg.jpg

AFTER
2zxvw2d.jpg

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-charcoal-grill-restoration/triangle-restoration-rust-removal/

Without industrial sand or bead blasting the cleanest I got was with overnight soak with degreaser and then a whole can of oven cleaner and it of wire scrubbing. Came out great but not new. Food also stuck less. No more high heat burn off for me.

1CiTEyl.jpg

Did she kettle grate too

v76SHv5.jpg

You might want to invest in a media blaster from Harbor Fraught. Then simply soda blast them. Otherwise oven cleaner does a good job

Thats interesting but I would need an air compressor and don't you need some kind of hood or whatever to contain the media being used?

OK, I see. I wonder how something like that would work on a grill cook box inside or even for stripping the outside?

I wouldn't buy something like that simply for cleaning a cooking grate but it would be awesome if you could easily strip the baked on crap inside of a grill cook box with it.

Wouldn’t something like that be great for taking off the old paint outside the firebox? Or do you not want do that before repainting?

You don't paint the outside or inside of the firebox. they are ceramic coated. You just clean them up.

You don't paint the outside or inside of the firebox. they are ceramic coated. You just clean them up.

You guys have a whole thread going on painting the fire boxes what with HHU and what not. Yes a media blaster would be ideal for cleaning up those end caps and fire boxes prior to painting. Because they're aluminum I would be sure to use a "soft" media i.e. soda, nut shells, etc which will only strip off grime and paint but leave the metal alone

The firebox and end caps are SMOOTH aluminum. They really don't have any texture. The texture comes from the paint that Weber uses from the factory. Using a media blaster to remove the old paint would take them down to smooth bare aluminum.

The firebox and end caps are SMOOTH aluminum. They really don't have any texture. The texture comes from the paint that Weber uses from the factory. Using a media blaster to remove the old paint would take them down to smooth bare aluminum.

Bruce,

That makes sense to me and goes along with my experience. Have you ever heard of a high-heat texture spray? I have thought of using a base coat of high heat paint, then painting with the regular texture spray that is readily available and then covering that with more high-heat paint. Do you think there is any chance that would work?

Back