Repair of cast iron enameled grates possible?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have that set of cast iron enameled grates. They are still solid but the enamel coating has chipped off quite a bit. Is there a way to repair this? Or should I just remove the loose enamel and then just season the grates so that the bare metal sections stay protected?

Chip off all the loose ceramic. You don't want to get a chunk of that stuff in your hamburger...sure trip to the dentist.

If it was me, I would rather have a decent set of aftermarket SS rod grates than deal with the deteriorating CI grates.

Once that heavy top coat porcelain starts chipping IMO those grates are dangerous. Pieces will flake off into your food and munching down on a piece of glass is no fun (ask me how I know). I too had acquired a set of that older style with the top coated porcelain (very shiny) and no matter how careful I was or how seasoned I got the bare iron parts that stuff flaked off into the food. Disgusting. They went in the trash which honestly is where your's should go also.

I agree with Larry and Bruce.

I rehabbed a ln older weber q a while back. I thought I had cleaned the grates well but the first time I cooked on it there were pieces of the porcelain coating stuck to the food. Had to throw them out.

I would rather have stainless grates for that reason. Even the cheaper aftermarket or stamped ones. I know the porcelain coast cast iron grates can last for years but once the porcelain starts going they are toast in my opinion.

With the heat they experience, it doesn't take long for a smidgeon of water to make it's way to the cast iron under neath the porcelain, and once it does, it is all over.

If I went CI, I would just get plain ones. But, for me, the simplicity and durability of Stainless rod grates is just way more important.

With the heat they experience, it doesn't take long for a smidgeon of water to make it's way to the cast iron under neath the porcelain, and once it does, it is all over.

If I went CI, I would just get plain ones. But, for me, the simplicity and durability of Stainless rod grates is just way more important.

I agree. I have several sets of the porcelain coated ones that are all chipping. I had hoped maybe to be able to grind down to raw metal but I had my doubts. Reading what you all say just confirms that it isn’t worth it. Among the best finds in two of my many acquisitions were two sets of original plain cast iron grates. Other than a little surface rust, both were redeemable, and I buffed both sets back to being ready for seasoning on Saturday. I plan to keep one and use the other as an option in an upcoming sale.

I agree. I have several sets of the porcelain coated ones that are all chipping. I had hoped maybe to be able to grind down to raw metal but I had my doubts. Reading what you all say just confirms that it isn’t worth it. Among the best finds in two of my many acquisitions were two sets of original plain cast iron grates. Other than a little surface rust, both were redeemable, and I buffed both sets back to being ready for seasoning on Saturday. I plan to keep one and use the other as an option in an upcoming sale.

I didn't know they had plain cast iron. I'd classify stainless and plain cast iron as lifetime sets.

Not sure when they switched to porcelain coated, but they are pretty old. They have “made in USA” on them and a patent number I want to look up. They are quite heavy, but I haven’t weighed them in comparison with the newer ones, so it may just be prejudice! I agree they are worth holding onto:eek:!

Cast iron can deteriorate really fast if you don't take care of them. I have had several on my rehab grills and many times they are rusted and flaking to the point there is serious width differences in the slats. But, yah, if a guy keeps them cleaned and oiled and seasoned, it is hard to beat them for performance. Problem is, most people used them, turn the grill of when done cooking and leave it set until the next time they grill out.

CI is not something I would call a "lifetime" grate. I took care of the ones in my Wolf religiously after I had them media blasted. I got a few years from them and that's all. Now looking forward to my RC grates which should be done soon. He is also making them with even tighter spacing at my request than he normally does thanks to my penchant for grilling asparagus and not liking them falling through LOL. Also the tight spacing works VERY well for home made pizza (which I cannot eat any more thanks Type II diabetes UGH) and many other things are so much easier when you have tighter spacing. I am paying dearly for them though and once they arrive I will post photos. Mean time my $20 Genesis Silver B is back "on the pipe (NG)" as it was originally made. It's so far being an excellent stand in for the Summit and will be doing a couple slabs of ribs today for my pot luck with our church group tonight. I just can't decide baby back or St Louis spares

I would but I have so much on my plate today...................plumber coming to look at a couple issues, gotta get the workout in, get to store and finally cook and still trying to get everything transferred over to my backup phone because my LG G6 has trouble and needs to go in for warranty repair. Trying to get everything you rely on so much transferred is hours upon hours of work. Only to have to do it again when the phone comes back since they always reset it. BTW what a scam calling LG customer service "customer service". More like customer "disservice". CSR was rude crude illiterate and ill bred. No Bueano I shoulda bought a Samsung instead. With what these damn things cost it's crazy they treat you like crap

Cast iron is definitely a lifetime product in cookware if cared for properly. Actually several lifetimes. We have a skillet that we use all the time that's almost 100 years old. It's the best skillet we own.

I have no experience with bare cast iron grates. But I don't think it would hold up nearly as well for that application. Seasoning is the key with cast iron. Maintaining it. I think that would be a nightmare with grill grates.

I know that about cookware. I have a couple pans that are in the 100 yo range but outdoors CI is impossible to maintain. My CI Wolf grates have crumbled to nothing and like I said I CARED for them. Always kept seasoned, stored inside during rainy/damp/winter weather. Oiled before and after every use. But outside and in a grilling environment they are not permanent.

Good to know Larry. I love my cast iron cookware enough that I toyed with the idea of bare cast iron at one point. Sounds like a bad idea.

I love my rcplanebuyer and bbq parts SS grates though. Can't imagine anything better really.

Yah, one thing I dont like about the Q grates. You can't get them in anything but CI and they are much thinner than regular Genesis grates. I have to replace them every 4 years or so.

Yah, one thing I dont like about the Q grates. You can't get them in anything but CI and they are much thinner than regular Genesis grates. I have to replace them every 4 years or so.

Yeah me too. I even asked rcplanebuyer if he made SS grates for Q grills a while back. Unfortunately he doesn't. He makes them for the go anywhere grill But not the Q series.

You need the wide parts on the Q grills to sheild the burners from drippings since the Q grills dont have the flavorizer bars. The wide parts in the Q grates serve that purpose. That would not be possible with Steel rod grates.

That makes sense. I remember reading that the Q grates unusual shape had a purpose but didn't remember it was for grease management.

Back