Halibut for Mother's Day

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I took a break from my work for Mother's Day. I asked my wife what she wanted and she said Halibut. We went up to our local fish market and picked out a really nice filet weighing 1.4 lbs. Paired it up with a Brussels Sprout and caramelized shallots dish and a baked potato. Here's a few pictures.

Earlier in the day I made some nice Crusty Rolls to go with our dinner.

enhance

I had quite a bit of prep to do on the sprouts so got to work on that first. Including the obvious items in the photo are 4 large shallots thinly sliced, AC vinegar, toasted walnuts and red pepper flakes.

enhance

I caramelized the shallots in advance too.

enhance

Here is the filet. I patted it dry and rubbed it down with some softened butter, lemon juice, onion powder, parsley, dill, sugar and s&p. (not shown)

enhance

When it came time to put the sprouts and fish on it got a little nuts so not a lot of pic's.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Cooked the halibut about six minutes total on my grillgrates.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

I got lucky and nailed the halibut. My wife is a fish lover and she said it was the best halibut she's had. Tasted pretty good to me too. Nice and flaky with wonderful flavor. We had a great Mother's Day and I hope you all did too. Thanks for looking and see you on Smoke Day.... if not sooner. :)

Looks like a great meal, Cliff. The halibut looks perfect, and you've got me thinking about those grill grates with those incredible hash marks!!

R

OMG That looks fantastic. Love the way you did the BS and the halibut looks awesome. Love them both.

Looks like we will be having BS and halibut soon after Barbs response. Got to say I'd go for that.

That plate is to die for! All that work was worth the effort. Think I'm going to have to get into Brussels sprouts - they sure look good.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yep. I usually cut my sprouts in half, I think I'm going to chop them up a little more next time. Thanks for the idea Cliff.

Hey Pat.... I didn’t chop the sprouts. I cut them in half lengthwise, placed them cut side down and sliced each half lengthwise again into 1/8 inch slices. I should have mentioned that.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Hey Pat.... I didn’t chop the sprouts. I cut them in half lengthwise, placed them cut side down and sliced each half lengthwise again into 1/8 inch slices. I should have mentioned that.

10-4. There are some sprouts in my future.

Back