Thread: Charcoal grate mods for lump

TVWBB Member

Charcoal grate mods for lump

I'm trying to experiment with using Royal Oak lump charcoal in my Weber Performer and OTG, but often the smaller pieces fall through the stock charcoal grate. Does anybody have any suggestions for mods? Maybe something like expanded metal, or a drilled steel plate?

Thanks!
    18" Jumbo Joe , 22" OTG-Cajun Bandit "Gambit" , 22" WSM , 22" Performer Platinum "Copperhead":

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Warren View Post
    I'm trying to experiment with using Royal Oak lump charcoal in my Weber Performer and OTG, but often the smaller pieces fall through the stock charcoal grate. Does anybody have any suggestions for mods? Maybe something like expanded metal, or a drilled steel plate?

Thanks!
    Pretty simple actually, wire another grate on top and at 90 to the bottom one.
    I've done this on my WSM's.

I usually use the baskets for lump. If I'm not using the baskets I start with a bed of lit charcoal and pour the lump on top of that.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Pretty simple actually, wire another grate on top and at 90 to the bottom one.
    I've done this on my WSM's.
    That simple? I'll "borrow" the grate off my OTG and test it this weekend. Thanks!
    18" Jumbo Joe , 22" OTG-Cajun Bandit "Gambit" , 22" WSM , 22" Performer Platinum "Copperhead":

Just to add to Mr Correll's comment.http://virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Howard,

Bob's the man! If anyone else is having trouble picturing it, just "cross-cross" the two grates and you're good to go.

Some tack them together; some use wire. You could lay them one on top of each other and that works too.
    26.75" x 2, Vintage 22", 22.5", 18.5", 14.5"