Increasing the grill's temperature

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
Sometimes, middle age dating brings new challenges, and new experiences. This is especially true in a "mixed" relationship... each side comes from a very different background and tries to find an accommodation. If you can get past the biases, then you learn new things from each other. And my case, my "mixed" relationship has caused some bumps that have brought me here for advice: you see, I grill with Weber and she owns a Big Green Egg :rolleyes:

Let me say that in the past year and a half, I've grilled a lot more on her BGE, and I'm comfortable with it. But it's the 18" BGE, and too small for family functions. Still, the BGE has an advantage. Using Royal Oak lump charcoal, I can get the BGE up to 650 degrees for grilling. Using KBB on the Weber, I can only get to 500 degrees. (Yes, there is some fritter factor here, but in both cases, I was using a Tru-Tel thermometer, calibrated, and in the same general location on the dome.) For grilling steaks, I like the higher temp.

I haven't tried Royal Oak in my Weber yet (well... actually I did but a lot of the lumps kept falling through the grate.) But I don't think Royal Oak is the only issue. In looking at both grills, the BGE's lower air intake is similar in area to the openings for the Weber One Touch vanes, but the top vent on the BGE is huge compared to the Weber. I'm wondering if the larger exhaust lets the BGE draft better, getting more air to the charcoal, and therefore, get the higher temperature.

I've been thinking about installing a second lid dampener on my Weber's dome to increase the drafting, but I'm also wondering if the Weber is really meant for the higher temperatures. I'd hate to damage the Performer.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Since it sounds like you want the higher heat for steaks, not so much smoking, try setting the lid a little ajar, or stick something under an edge, like a small piece of smoke wood.
See my reply on your other thread for using lump.

Sometimes, middle age dating brings new challenges, and new experiences. This is especially true in a "mixed" relationship... each side comes from a very different background and tries to find an accommodation. If you can get past the biases, then you learn new things from each other. And my case, my "mixed" relationship has caused some bumps that have brought me here for advice: you see, I grill with Weber and she owns a Big Green Egg :rolleyes:

Let me say that in the past year and a half, I've grilled a lot more on her BGE, and I'm comfortable with it. But it's the 18" BGE, and too small for family functions. Still, the BGE has an advantage. Using Royal Oak lump charcoal, I can get the BGE up to 650 degrees for grilling. Using KBB on the Weber, I can only get to 500 degrees. (Yes, there is some fritter factor here, but in both cases, I was using a Tru-Tel thermometer, calibrated, and in the same general location on the dome.) For grilling steaks, I like the higher temp.

I haven't tried Royal Oak in my Weber yet (well... actually I did but a lot of the lumps kept falling through the grate.) But I don't think Royal Oak is the only issue. In looking at both grills, the BGE's lower air intake is similar in area to the openings for the Weber One Touch vanes, but the top vent on the BGE is huge compared to the Weber. I'm wondering if the larger exhaust lets the BGE draft better, getting more air to the charcoal, and therefore, get the higher temperature.

I've been thinking about installing a second lid dampener on my Weber's dome to increase the drafting, but I'm also wondering if the Weber is really meant for the higher temperatures. I'd hate to damage the Performer.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

You can get your grill as hot as you want, just as hot as the BGE. The only thing is that the BGE, like all kamados, will retain that heat longer. Because of that, it can sustain a given temp for longer periods of time using less fuel.

The only thing you need to know is this equation:

heat = fuel + oxygen + spark

That's it. If your fuel is damp, it won't burn well. If airflow is low, it won't burn well. If you can't get it lit, it won't burn at all. If you can control the fuel and oxygen, then you control the heat.

If you are using the same fuel, meaning charcoal, in both grills you can get the same heat. Remember that generally speaking lump burns hotter than briqs, but they tend not to last as long. If you are not getting enough heat, add airflow. Open the lid up or push the lid a wee bit offset to the bottom, allowing for more airflow. Layer more fuel on every 10 minutes to keep the burn going. If you are cooking steaks, you do not need to have the lid on at all.

I have had my performer hot enough to melt the rollers on the lid bale. You can get 1000* without too much trouble.

Here's another trick: To get the steaks closer to the coals, buy a cheap grate for an 18" weber, and a couple of firebricks or even just 3 or 4 similar sized rocks. Remove the 22" grate. Put the rocks on the charcoal grate and the smaller grate on the rocks. Viola, the food grate is now much closer to the hot coals.

One way I cook chicken wings is to remove the center section from the weber donut shaped grill (OK, Gourmet BBQ System) place a chimney in the hole ( remove the handle assembly from the chimney) and just let it go. Place the wings on the grate, and let the indirect cooking begin. Just rotate the lid every few minutes so the vent moves around. It's also very easy to add coals this way

Back