Mother's Day Brisket and Sausage

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

32NyziJh.jpg

I ordered some fresh beef sausage from Southside Market because I wanted see how it compared to my own recipe.

https://www.southsidemarket.com/product-category/sausage/

ZzhKBxrh.jpg

I got a brisket from my butcher. This is an upper 2/3rds choice similar to Certified Angus Beef. I gave it a trim and seasoned it
with kosher salt and Meat Church Holy Cow rub.

fl00z7Gh.jpg

I fired up the WSM and ran about 250. I loaded this with a full 18.6 lb bag. The brisket took about 13 hours but I kept the fire going to cook the sausage
after I had the brisket in the cooker. Probably about 16 or 17 hours total.

7UYlg91h.jpg

Finished product.

eUX7wJhh.jpg

Finished sausage. Being completely biased, I like my recipe better. Mine has a coarse grind and I add some herbs and pork to the mix. This
is surprisingly close. I know I'm completely on the right track and that my version is legit. Southside Market sausage is legendary.

dzn1uOAh.jpg

To round out the feast my wife made her yeast rolls, some potato salad that had a nice vinegar bite, and some strawberry pie.
I only managed to get a picture of the crust.

e6drI2Kh.jpg

My plate. This brisket turned out pretty good. It's not quite prime, but close. My pit temp dropped down to about 190 for a few hours in the middle of the night
while the brisket was still in the 140's. Pro-tip: If you are counting on the Smoke wifi app to wake you up don't have your phone on "Do not disturb" The cook turned out fine
despite all that!

Dustin, that's a hell of a spread you put on! The brisket is out of the ballpark, for sure. Really like the bark. Your wife sure does a good job with the sides.

fwiw - really appreciate your thoughts on the sausage. I'm saving the last of my Dustin Dorsey Central Texas Sausage for when my daughter, her husband and the two babies get here next week. My SIL loves sausage and he's in for a treat.

Last edited:
Fantastic cook Dustin, I've heard of Southside market although I have never tasted their sausage and if yours is close you must pretty darn good sausage maker. But looking at your cooks there is no doubt in my mind.

Dustin, that cook is way out of the ball park. You did a fantastic job and your wife's side dishes awesome. I would take a plate of that for sure. You did one great Mothers Day cook.

What a feast that is Dustin. Outstanding cook, from the brisket right down to the rolls, salad and pie. Everything looks delicious. Glad to hear you liked your sausage better than that from your market.

That brisket is phenomenal! I've seen that sausage company around on the interwebs...if your's is comparable, I'd imagine that you're doing great. Always enjoy seeing your cooks...great work!! BTW- What wood did you use?

That brisket is phenomenal! I've seen that sausage company around on the interwebs...if your's is comparable, I'd imagine that you're doing great. Always enjoy seeing your cooks...great work!! BTW- What wood did you use?

Thanks Dan! I may have come across as arrogant on that sausage claim. The average joe would probably like Southside Market's better because most people prefer a finer grind. I love coarse ground sausage. I need to convert my recipe to standard measurements at some point to make it more accessible. For my smoke I used post oak chunks from Fruitawood.

Thanks Dan! I may have come across as arrogant on that sausage claim. The average joe would probably like Southside Market's better because most people prefer a finer grind. I love coarse ground sausage. I need to convert my recipe to standard measurements at some point to make it more accessible. For my smoke I used post oak chunks from Fruitawood.

Nah, didn't come of arrogant at all!

Nice cook Dustin. The brisket looks outstanding. Any chance you could share your wife's potato salad recipe?

Based on this spread, Dustin, my mom let me know she wishes you were her kid! ;)

FWIW, I think my sausage recipe is the best, too. No arrogance, we just get to make it exactly how WE like it, so no surprise that we think it's the best.

Once again, you have proven out my theory that you Texas folks don't let any of the good brisket out of the state. :) Looks fantastic!

R

Back