Whole chicken/High Heat/Crispy Skin ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Planing to do a couple of whole chickens (fryers) Sunday, brothers in visiting from out of state, loves to eat the chicken skin.

Going to cook high heat 325-350, wanted to "loosly" foil, for about 20-30 minutes after taking off the WSM before eating.

Will foiling take the crispyness of the skin
away ? If so what would the preferred way to do it to maintain the crispy skin ?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

I rest mine for about 10 minutes...I cook them butterflied. Setting foil on top shouldn't have to much of an effect on the skin I would shorten the time if an option but won't sweat it.

Originally posted by Carl H.:
My experience is foiling will soften the skin. It's crispiest right off the grill.

Yeah, this will sort of steam it. Don't think you want to do that if you are going for crispy.

Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Planing to do a couple of whole chickens (fryers) Sunday, brothers in visiting from out of state, loves to eat the chicken skin.

Going to cook high heat 325-350, wanted to "loosly" foil, for about 20-30 minutes after taking off the WSM before eating.

Will foiling take the crispyness of the skin
away ? If so what would the preferred way to do it to maintain the crispy skin ?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Foiling WILL ruin the texture of the skin due to steam. If you're looking to hold the chicken to keep it warm, put it on a pan with a raised rack, or directly on your oven grates. Set the oven to 250º and crack the oven door with a wooden spoon or something similar. This will let the steam escape and keep the chicken warm

To me 325 isn't high heat -- for chicken. That would be 400-500, which is where I usually cook mine. If the skin is quite crisp then simply tenting with foil for the brief rest won't change the skin much.

Larry's method is good if you are cooking at lower temps -- even if you don't need to hold it long.

Kevin

When I first posted this, I thought about saying "higher" heat instead of "High" heat, meaning 325-350.

I don't use lump, only Briquettes, so 400 isn't out of the picture, If I leave the lid agar per Bryan's idea.

At any rate, I usually like to loosly foil,(resting),after cooking, somehow I think the juices go into the meat, like a roast ?

Juices do indeed redistribute during resting. A simple foil tent is sufficient. 20 min, tops, is plenty for chicken.

I loosen the skin of the chicken and apply a compound butter under it, between it and the breast meat, and I also work it to the thighs and legs. I oil or butter the skin surface and apply whatever rub I've made (if I didn't mix it into the butter/oil first). The crisper the skin, the more likely you can retain crispness post cook.

Kevin

I believe there is more "Carry Over" cooking taking place with the high heat than low and slow.

Do you adjust the temp that you take the birds off the cooker, for a high heat vs the lower heat cook ??

Thanks

No, I don't.

Increases in internal temps after cooking are not often seen when one rests poultry conventionally (just tented), or any increase is usually minimal. This is because the central cavity in birds allows for heat to escape rather effectively. It is possible for the heat rise to be more dramatic if the cooked bird is wrapped well in foil for resting (as one might for pulled chicken or turkey) as there is less of a means for heat escape.

Kevin

I got ya.

Just got back from the store, smallest chickens they had were 5 lbs. ea. would rather cook smaller birds.

Will put compound butter under the skin, you told me about that one time before on the larger birds, works well.

Thanks

I do the compound butter thing even on poussins and game birds.

I too much prefer smaller chickens. My favorites are ~2.75 lbs. Hard to find those (restaurants buy them) but I just get the smallest I can. I'd rather do 2 or 3 over doing a larger bird.

Kevin

I won't be brining these chickens because I want the crispy skin.

Just curious do you ever brine poultry, if so please explain.

Thank you

i did roadside chix over the weekend. used the top grate wiht no clay saucer and cooked between 350 and 380 for about 45 minutes. skin came out nice a crisp, so it can be done. while i haven't done a whole chicken i did do a turkey and even with a brine the skin got nice a crispy along with an amazing redish color from the apple wood

john

you know I've done both Whole turkey (breast), and whole chicken's both brined at high heat.

I don't know if it's me or what but the whole turkey breast skin seamed to be more crispy than the whole chicken's skin was. I don't know if it was my imagination or what, but that was my observation. Although as I recall I used honey in the brine for the turkey and not for the chicken, don't know if that would make a difference or not ???

Back