Stainless Steel Gourmet Grate Amazon for my Performer

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0798LPLMC/tvwb-20

Uniflasy Stainless Steel Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grid Grate Replacement for Weber 22.5 Inch Charcoal Grills 8835

I just bought these interesting enough a few people on the Gasser Forum have bought their grates stainless steel rods for the 1000's and pretty happy with them so far especially for doing flips they were not magnetic so the quality appears to be good will see down the road. They say 201 stainless guessing that is a typo probably mean 301.

I will report back when I finish cleaning up the performer I bought and fire it up.

Brian

I ordered one also. I was going to get the Weber stainless but for 20 bucks less and it can be used with the Weber gourmet accessories I thought I'd give it a try.

Rich, I don't think in the US that Weber makes a stainless steel Gourmet grate for the kettle their is a knockoff on Amazon Kettle Kommander 22 which is $45 bucks and in my First Performer thread Dave listed a few others that were more like $75 bucks and Weber makes one also but they are just hinged grates they are not a GBS grate. I may be wrong new to the performer as now have a 1000 to go with it.

Pat your welcome.

Brian you're right I forgot the $45 Amazon one isn't a Weber and I knew it wasn't a GBS grate.

The reason the GBS grate appeals to me as I will be using the charcoal bins most of the time in the middle, want to try the chicken wings around the edge so you can add more charcoal in the middle pretty easily. Also going to buy a few grillgrates for the middle for my steaks, I get it you love them or hate them but this grate seems to have the best of both worlds, hinged on the side middle can be taken out just hope they are not crap but we will see.

Properties and Composition of Type 201 Stainless Steel
https://www.thebalance.com/type-201-stainless-steel-2340260

"201 stainless steel is an alloy that contains half the nickel and increased manganese and nitrogen of more popular steels.
While it is less expensive than some other alloys (because of its low nickel content), it is not as easy to work or form. Type 201 is an austenitic metal because it is a non-magnetic stainless steel that contains high levels of chromium and nickel and low levels of carbon."

"Type 201 is used to produce a range of household appliances, including sinks, cooking utensils, washing machines, windows, and doors. It is also used in automotive trim, decorative architecture, railway cars, trailers, and clamps. It is not recommended for structural outdoor applications because of its susceptibility to pitting and crevice corrosion."

Has anyone noticed https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B073VR2X5Y/tvwb-20

Also made of 201 Stainless ???

Rich, I think it is just another vendor selling the same product probably no difference at all. Nothing wrong with 201 for what we are going to use it for Bob put a pretty accurate description. Its a little harder than 301 not quite as rustproof as 301 but it should be fine for our uses has to be way better than the plated steel.

Rich, I think it is just another vendor selling the same product probably no difference at all. Nothing wrong with 201 for what we are going to use it for Bob put a pretty accurate description. Its a little harder than 301 not quite as rustproof as 301 but it should be fine for our uses has to be way better than the plated steel.
I'm sure it's fine, it just seemed like no one had heard of 201.

Well there is a few of us who will have them so we can report back as time goes on as to how they perform and hold up. My performer grate is shot so I thought I'd give the SS one a try plus I won't need to switch grates to use the vortex.

I will be interested in the feedback about these.
My GBS is a few years old, still very solid, but the center section has lost all its plating.
I gave my grandson a GBS for his grill and he only uses the sear grate, so he gave me his unused center section. I'll start using it one of these days.
Too bad Weber doesn't realize that they need to sell quality replacement parts along with their often short-lived items.

I looked at that one but I don't know about the 201 stainless. I don't understand why weber sells a stainless gbs grate in almost every other market. I kind of wonder if you ordered them separately from ereplacement parts if you'd get stainless. It'd be over 70 bucks. They sell those as replacement parts for certain performers.

Like Bob's mine has lost the plating in the center sections and I don't want to spend 40 bucks on one I know will rust again

That's what I want to get for my new grate is a sear plate, but at $35 at amazon for a small chunk of cast iron I'll look around and see what else I can scrounge up.

That's what I want to get for my new grate is a sear plate, but at $35 at amazon for a small chunk of cast iron I'll look around and see what else I can scrounge up.
Rich,
I really didn't care for the CI sear grate, the cross bars are too far apart for me.
A few years back I sent mine to TonyR in exchange for him donating my shipping cost to TVWBB, IIRC.

Bob,
After I posted that it dawned on me if you're doing indirect with a sear and have your coals in baskets on the sides or V shaped the sear grate won't work with no coals under it. Maybe with a vortex it would work.

I had coals in baskets under it, that worked fine, it's just that I like an all-over browning.
The vortex would create carbon black X's I'm sure. :)

I agree with you Bob, the CI “sear grate” crosshatch is way too big but, I have found I like the all over crust as opposed to the more widely sought after “X” pattern. That’s just me. Since my wife likes her steak put to death a second time, she doesn’t really care about crosshatch marks at all.
I’m in the same boat about the center section of my GBS, it’s getting a little “worn” so, I will be waiting for the “Rich Report”!
Let us know buddy.

Back