The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to get my temperatures up

Ok so the newer ones have a deeper water pan compared to the shallow pan on my 08. Weber likes to re-purpose parts and on the older ones they used the lid from a SJ, but after some minor complaints about adding water they switched to the deeper SJ charcoal bowl.
    That might have something to do with air-flow, but i dunno. Maybe switching to a shallower deflector, drip pan might help.
    I wouldn't use a terra cota or pizza stone cause that's a sink and you already have problems getting temps up.
    And may I ask how are you measuring temps? Reason I ask is the built in therm has been known to read 50-60 degs cooler at the beginning of a cook.
    I like to measure @ the top vent with a turkey fryer therm or a remote. It's always consistent between 12-15 degrees higher than top grate.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Door prop with binder clip is working well, getting 250 275 pretty well. Thank you

I added two more top vents to the lid. That did the trick for me. I can get both the 18 and 22 up to 400 plus easy. Oh and no water in the pan...

On my first and second cook, I thought I was going to have to work to keep the temps DOWN. Turns out, keeping it at or above 200 takes some doing, even with the vents WIDE open.

I might have to do as somebody suggested, and put in more top vents. I will probably remove the water pan as well.

I don't have Kingsford charcoal available at my nearest store, so I got some Royal oak hardwood lump charcoal. I heard lump burns hotter, so I thought it would be an improvement on my first cook which used No Name briquettes. It wasn't until the sunlight started getting onto the smoker that temps stabilized

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDewar View Post
    On my first and second cook, I thought I was going to have to work to keep the temps DOWN. Turns out, keeping it at or above 200 takes some doing, even with the vents WIDE open.

I might have to do as somebody suggested, and put in more top vents. I will probably remove the water pan as well.

I don't have Kingsford charcoal available at my nearest store, so I got some Royal oak hardwood lump charcoal. I heard lump burns hotter, so I thought it would be an improvement on my first cook which used No Name briquettes. It wasn't until the sunlight started getting onto the smoker that temps stabilized
    Welcome to the forum John.
    There's no reason I can think of that your lump was keeping the temperatures so low, unless it was defective, maybe damp?
    Did you put a fair amount of lit on top of a full load of unlit to get things going?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    Welcome to the forum John.
    There's no reason I can think of that your lump was keeping the temperatures so low, unless it was defective, maybe damp?
    Did you put a fair amount of lit on top of a full load of unlit to get things going?
    I filled up the charcoal ring, and put a small well in the middle of it to dump the lit charcoal from the chimney. The charcoal was dry.

I might do as BabyBackManiac suggested in a youtube video and also get a second charcoal grate to keep the pieces from falling thru after they've burned a bit.

If it helps, Ottawa's general altitude is about 200 ft from sealevel, but I'm guessing that's not gonna affect much, as water would then boil at 99.99 degrees instead of 100.

TVWBB Member
    If you don't want to get a temp control,find an old computer,and rob the power supply,and processor fan. Rig it up to blow in one of the bottom vents. That will get oxygen in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12