The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get my temperatures up

Need to get my temperatures up

All,

I am having a hard time getting my WSM above 215. I live at a mile high, so I have found I need to increase the temp due to lesser oxygen levels.

What are your best tips to get your WSM to 300 f to cook?

I would like any advice on charcoal set up, type of charcoal wood set up, vents , water levels in the pan. Nothing off the table. Thanks everyone!

Well first of all skip the water if your shooting for 300.
    Use more lit like the standard method, ( one chimney of unlit followed by a chimney of lit)
    Increase air flow, all vents open and if you have to, crack the lid open with a metal skewer or spatula.
    Edit: http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html

Tim
    Last edited by timothy; 05-12-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add Link
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Member
    If lack of oxygen is the problem,an automatic temp controller should do the trick. As Tim said skip the water. A temp controller blowing air over the coals shouldn't have any problem hitting 300 even at a mile high. I have an IQ 110. They are fairly cheap. You just turn the knob like an 'old fashion' radio dial. I used mine today as a matter of fact. It will move some air.
    Last edited by Fred BW; 05-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Not quite shooting for 300 but 250, figure take sea level 300 gets me 250 here

TVWBB Pro
    Sharing this in case it may be of value: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?309...titude-Smoking

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisABBQ View Post
    All,

I am having a hard time getting my WSM above 215. I live at a mile high, so I have found I need to increase the temp due to lesser oxygen levels.

What are your best tips to get your WSM to 300 f to cook?

I would like any advice on charcoal set up, type of charcoal wood set up, vents , water levels in the pan. Nothing off the table. Thanks everyone!
    First..............ditch the water pan if you want to get above the gray temp on the WSM built in temperature gauge, which is 275 degrees F on my WSM. The WSM has three in vents at the bottom and only one out vent at the top. This limits the air flow through the smoker, ie the amount of O2 for combustion.

Second................even at 5000 feet above sea level our atmosphere contains 21% oxygen! Please google partial pressure. For those of us that spent most of our lives at sea level, going to a mile high and then doing any exercise requiring work the effect of partial pressure becomes clear as air. Less barometric pressure results in less O2 dissolved into our blood stream. Added to this there is less O2 per the same volume at 5000 feet than at sea level.

What I have noticed at 4240 feet above sea level is the effects of boiling points. Water boils at about 203-204 degrees F. Smoked baby back ribs are done at 189 degrees.

So ditch the water pan. Then see what temp can be achieved. Load the charcoal basket almost full and a 1/3 to 1/2 chimney of Kingsford blue on top should get that 300-350 degree range. This should be a piece of cake if using a stoker.

Craig,H in La Pine
    I don't like rubbery meat 18.5"ET732: FlameBoss FB100-U

TVWBB Super Fan
    Turn the door upside down and prop it open.

Thanks... keep the suggestions coming

You never mentioned what size WSM you have. ( that could be helpful)
    My 18.5" WSM is easier to dial in temps than my 22.5" WSM cause that one is a fuel hog.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

18.5 WSM 2013 edition I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast