Genesis 1000

tom_r

Just getting into the world of weber gas. Bought 3 used Genesis 1000 on craigslist in the past week. 2 were restored, both red, look awesome and work real well.
The last is in need of clean up.
I know the hood should not be painted. what is the best way to clean it to bring back the rich color. this one is not red, it is kind of burgundy (never seen the color before). It is Genesis 1000 LX LP.
How about the black sides of the hood, and the lower part of the cooking area. Can these be painted or should they just be cleaned. They are dull , and the ones that I bought refinished are shinier. I knwo that the cart can be cleaned up and hit with a Krylon black .

Any help is appreciated. These grills are awesome and appear indestructable. I have a Red Perfomer Charcoal with stainless steel table for 12 years and it is a workhorse!!! wife won';t use charcoal though... the extra grills are for 2 of my kids. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Genesis 1000 LX </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The side panel (where the 3 gas knobs are) is porcelain, don't paint.
The middle of the hood is porcelain, don't paint.
The sides of the hood are cast aluminum, ok to paint.
The cooking box is cast aluminum and ok to paint.
DO NOT paint inside of cooking box and hood or any part near or that can be in contact with food.
You should strongly consider high temperature paint on the sides of the hood and cooking box. I would consider high temperature paint on the frame portion that the cooking box bolts to.

Metal prep depends on how bad it is. Complete sanding or wire brushing down to the bare metal or just light sanding depends on if the existing paint won't peel off or come off in the future. You paint over bad paint, guess what?

A selection of finish (flat or gloss) high temperature paint can be had at dedicated paint stores and auto parts stores.

I just picked up a Genesis 1000 (new in 1993) myself yesterday. Thank God it was FREE. The Flavorizer Bars are shot and will cost an arm and a leg (about $80). The wood side table slats I can make myself for nothing other than my time. I'm going to take it completely apart and rebuild it.
You can see it here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=146109562#146109562

Anyone know what the LX has over the plain 1000?

hey thanks for comments. I finished grill, used rustoleum high temp semi gloss paint and painted the outside of firebox, and the cart. used fine steel wool on enamel hood and did not need to otuch the area that the knobs are on. Looked GREAT when I was done. Have never seen another hood this color, sort of burgundy /eggplant color.

for your Genesis, check out Ebay for flavorizer bars. there are a couple of firms that make stainless steel replacements for $61 plus shipping. I also found a web site in FL that sold the SS bars for 65 I believe. You will be surprised once you start cleaning that thing up at how good it can look. [arts add up though ... hopefully you won't have to replace that many.

Just finished tearing mine completely down. Took the fire box off of cart. From what I can tell so far it won't be much in parts except the flavorizer bars, paint and a lot of labor. From an engineering point of view, these Weber grills were made from quality parts and see why people that have one say "they last a lifetime".

I found another post where people had purchased some flavorizer bars from someone on eBay that were thicker than standard, last longer.
eBay Flavorizer Bars

Back