How rare and what would that be worth? Older Genesis 1000 with side burner?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Another older Genesis popped up in our Neighborhood. Not sure what model that is. I only got this photo from the seller. Looks like a maroon lid. I like the color but it looks like it has some missing parts. No shelf on the left. Not sure if they ever came with a fold up table on the right. Did they have a bottom basket? Initial ask is $80 which I think is way to much.
32257417_10211782176173470_6008577767279427584_n.jpg

Last edited:
It is all going to depend on the condition of the internals. The outside looks relatively good and assuming there is little rust and the frame is solid, then it still isn't such a bad deal. But, I do see there is no left durawood table and no base on the bottom of the grill. and I see the drip pan sitting there and that likely means the aluminum slide rails are shot. That is telling me that they just didn't want the base (likely a two part durawood bottom similar to the left swing table. It might be that the Z brackets rusted out and they got rid of the bottom shelf for that reason. You could pretty easily fashion a wood bottom shelf though. You could also fashion a wood shelf on the left and to match, you could replace the durawood in the swing table with wood.

Too much missing even if the grill is solid and most of the internals are good. I would pay no more than $50 for that, less if the frame has issues or all the internals are shot.

Seller just texted me again that they are actually having a garage sale. The CL add didn't mention that. I don't have time today but I might swing by there tomorrow morning and see if it is still there. I could image this would look nice with all wooden tables and wooden floor.

It's going to be a bit of a project getting those tables fixed, and you'll want to put some kind of finish on the wood too. Then, if you're like me, you'll want a wood handle too. Also, yes, if the pan is out like that the aluminum pan guides are probably gone. Well, at least one of them. This can be tricky, because it's usually the screw that holds the pan guides that rusts away, meaning you'll be trying to drill steel out of aluminum. Tricky. With those symptoms, I'd venture to guess you'll need new burners and flavorizers, of which you will need the 13 bar set for that grill. It's a really great grill, I have the exact same one in the exact same hood color, except my side tables and bottom shelf are all wood in original brackets. If you decide to fix it up all fancy, it'll run you around 250 bucks (including say $50 for the grill) or more, depending on if you want new grates, flavorizers and burner tubes. You can expect to spend about 10 hours fixing it up, but not all in a row. I'm just giving you an honest appraisal based on my experience with that exact grill. It's a Genesis 3000, by the way.

Good luck!

Tim

Seller just texted me again that they are actually having a garage sale. The CL add didn't mention that. I don't have time today but I might swing by there tomorrow morning and see if it is still there. I could image this would look nice with all wooden tables and wooden floor.

Yes it would! I think the maroon is a sharp and not so common color. I think it is worth it if like Bruce says the intervals and frame are decent. I have one of those hoods and have been trying to think through what color stained wood would match. I think most with this hood were sold with gray durawood. Stained wood the right shade would be way better in my opinion.

I know it is a lot of work but I love tinkering. Are the burners different to the later models Silver/Gold B and C? I still have a set of decent burners from a Gold C I used as donor grill. Plus I have an early Silver B in parts which i have not fixed up yet.
It is this one. The guy who posted it hasn't removed the add yet.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/d/free-grill-in-ally/6577765411.html
And yes I agree stained wood on shelves and floor would look much nicer than the gray. I will have a look at it tomorrow morning if it not gone by then.

Burners are different. That is a Genesis 1000-5000 model.

If you go tomorrow and it is still there, I would definitely offer $50 or less even if the guts are in good shape. If they didn't sell it by then, they are looking at the possibility of having to haul it to the land fill. It isn't something they can just put in the trash bin. Heck, I would say you have a good shot at $25 tomorrow.

If you go tomorrow and it is still there, I would definitely offer $50 or less even if the guts are in good shape. If they didn't sell it by then, they are looking at the possibility of having to haul it to the land fill. It isn't something they can just put in the trash bin. Heck, I would say you have a good shot at $25 tomorrow.

A new set of wood shelving will dress it up nicely.

Q4KXPsY.jpg

IDK IMO it looks like a mess. Fixable sure but you're gonna have to do a lot of detective work to hunt down and scrounge/make all the missing stuff. It might make a good "parts" grill but $20 or so is all I would give heck look at this
25ir8eh.jpg
for $20 and with a nearly full tank of gas. Really I just need to put flavorizer bars in it and it's golden. Even the original stamped porcelain steel grates were in good shape

Thanks guys. I am still learning about these grills. For me the hood of the Genesis 1000 looks the same than the earlier Silver B with the sharp edges and the thermometer on the site. Are the fireboxes different?

A new set of wood shelving will dress it up nicely.

Q4KXPsY.jpg

Yes this looks really nice. Much nicer than the boring stainless steel grills of today.

The fire boxes are quite a bit different BUT the lids and cooking grates can interchange. Nothing else though as the Genesis B/C types have much smaller fire boxes

IDK IMO it looks like a mess. Fixable sure but you're gonna have to do a lot of detective work to hunt down and scrounge/make all the missing stuff. It might make a good "parts" grill but $20 or so is all I would give heck look at this
25ir8eh.jpg
for $20 and with a nearly full tank of gas. Really I just need to put flavorizer bars in it and it's golden. Even the original stamped porcelain steel grates were in good shape

Larry, you got an exceptional steal there. Pretty hard to measure up to that deal by any standard.

Here's an interesting Genesis extended cart grill

Yeah, Larry hit a grand slam home run on that one, I believe. But there are other good deals out there. Here's an interesting Genesis 3000 on the West coast of Florida. A long haul for me, but check it out (listed as a “double b” Weber;)):

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/grd/d/webber-gas-grill/6565521395.html

Another "brunette" and the extended cart is my favorite of these. More opportunity to show off the stained wood. The overall grill looks pretty nice based on the outside picture below, although it appears you are looking at a firebox bottom repair to the drip tray holders. Wood looks half-way decent but could dazzle with some refinishing:

70w5xt.jpg

I really like this grill, and $55 seems very fair to me. However, the inside picture really pushes me over. What do you make of these stainless bar grates:

b981zd.jpg

I kind of doubt they are rcplanebuyer, but not sure what they could be. Maybe re-purposed Summit grates? When you consider what a set of rc's grates cost, $55 seems like a pretty good deal just for these grates alone.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Yep, the fireboxes are different. Quite a bit so. The Genesis 1000 is a deep fire box and takes two rows of flavorizer bars and the Silver B is shallower with only one row of flavorizer bars.
The hoods however are interchangable. The earlier Silver B hoods were very much, almost exactly like the older Genesis 1000 hoods, but I think they changed in the mid 2000's to a more rounded hood unless that is a Spirit hood I am thinking about.

This is a CL add of a Silver B grill that has a Genesis 1000 hood on it. Actually, it is the just the Red porcelain part that is from the 1000. I swapped it into the end caps and handle from the original Silver B.
https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-genesis-silver-redhead/6584551504.html

For a while Weber actually marketed those grates for the Genesis line as upgraded from the stamped grates. I remember seeing them as a choice when I was going to order new grates for my old Genesis, but the price at the time put me off and the fact that Weber sent me a set of the stamped SS grates as warranty. Actually they accidentally sent me 2 sets and believe it or not I still have one set untouched in the basement. Those shiny bad boys will go into the Summit when I get it on the market. I figure some clean up, a little paint retouch, maybe even the blue lid I have for it put on in place of the black, and voila' maybe $250 to $300? Waddaya all think?

Those are definitely in the ball park of RCP grates as far as size and weight. I would grab that grill, maybe offer $40 and you have a steel. If nothing else, pull the grates, put in some shiny new $40 amazon SS rod grates, clean it up and sell it for $250 and you still have a very nice set of SS grates for your own grill. Only problem I can see in that grill is the drip pan is sitting on the bottom shelf...might mean the aluminum slide rails are shot or the drip pan is shot.

I am on the wagon for buying more grills right now, but that one might make me steal a sip.

For a while Weber actually marketed those grates for the Genesis line as upgraded from the stamped grates. I remember seeing them as a choice when I was going to order new grates for my old Genesis, but the price at the time put me off and the fact that Weber sent me a set of the stamped SS grates as warranty. Actually they accidentally sent me 2 sets and believe it or not I still have one set untouched in the basement. Those shiny bad boys will go into the Summit when I get it on the market. I figure some clean up, a little paint retouch, maybe even the blue lid I have for it put on in place of the black, and voila' maybe $250 to $300? Waddaya all think?

Larry, I didn't know you had a Blue Head? I am going to clean up one of my two blue heads today and put it on my grill if I get time. I have a guy coming to buy a Q200 stand and another guy coming to buy my latest Silver B rehab today and I am mailing off my NIB Q140 to a guy down in Roscoe, IL today as well.

Then, I need to dig into my next rehab project. I know it is about time I pull out one of my three E3xx cabinet grills...

Last edited:

Back