Took my Caliente Argentine/Tuscan Style Grill Kit out for a spin today

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
First saw this getup over at WKC and I was intrigued. One popped up on CL for a song, and like a fish, I instinctively jumped on it. It's been sitting in my garage since last fall just waiting for me to try it out. Had some nice thick filets to cook so today seemed like the right time

This thing works kind of like a Santa Maria, only you raise and lower the coals instead of the food grate. One side benefit of the design is that you can use the kettle lid on the cook.

Filets went on for a quick sear with the coals about 2 inches away. Rotated for diamonds then flipped. Went with the sear first instead of reverse sear because this thing is new to me and I'm in the learning phase.

59f4312983cfe59d8cab9c066d8a2407.jpg

8e41521445acaa6b5371c4956b88c59a.jpg

Moved the steaks over to indirect side and dropped the coals down 10 or 12 inches or so. Guessing on that as I didn't have a measuring tape on me.

eba0ac3ac83f88768f09164f41f710d1.jpg

230e5e1f4ec8bd43b0501e142a0bd683.jpg

The attachment is pretty nice. Has a weighted crank handle so the charcoal grate stays where you want it. Each crank around drops it by some increment, again, didn't measure. One modification that I will do is to make some kind of lip around the charcoal grate so that the briquettes don't fall over the edge.

Last edited:
Steaks look great Dave, but you've got to give us smoe more info on that grill attachment. I've never seen or heard of it, but you sure got my attention with all those steaks!
Thanks,
Tim

Thanks guys. Sometime last year, someone popped up at WKC and offered 5 free ones to the first 5 people to reply or PM. All he wanted in exchange was for them to post an honest review on Amazon.

Sadly, I missed out on that. 5 others made the cut and received them.

Doing a search for "Caliente Argentine/Tuscan Style Grill Kit", I see it's still up at Amazon, but also on Ebay and apparently, even from Walmart's website

Google search also reveals a bunch of different photos. When I get back home, I take some more photos and post them.

It's pretty neat. It utilizes your existing food and charcoal grates.

Just snooped over at Amazon and these things look pretty cool, $220.00 what a nifty idea! Yes, one is now on my wish list so, you guys can all chip in and get me one for my birthday!

Just snooped over at Amazon and these things look pretty cool, $220.00 what a nifty idea! Yes, one is now on my wish list so, you guys can all chip in and get me one for my birthday!

Yeppers. I seriously doubt that I'd have bought it at retail pricing but then again, I'm extremely cheap. :D it sat on CL for quite a while and I talked with the seller for a couple of weeks before scoring it. It's super heavy duty and stout. Walls are much thicker than a Weber Roti ring. It's 20+ lbs of stainless steel with nice welds. Might take a second look at it and try and figure out if there's an easy way to mod it to double as a Rotisserie or a Cajun Bandit stacker.

Some photos showing the INNER workings in case anyone is interested.

288a0820cb3d4d293a150d48ec110474.jpg

130729eae9d9ed6f4a15ad5f0c224804.jpg

515072ce8f709940c8a818fcaaa0d819.jpg

653ab9fb65f5cabf16308b590696006f.jpg

30d07579e7d7e22be4d872c601f4e537.jpg

a3379fbc29994927e46658efbf82af8b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just noticed this thread. I ordered one a few days ago. It was between it or a Kudu grill. Decided the Caliente was a better fit for me: can be used when the wind is blowing, can accommodate a rotisserie ring & lid on or off. & it cost a lot less.

Nice. I think you will like it. I haven't tried using my rotisserie with it. Mine is an old school Weber. Will have to see how it fits.

That is super cool. I feel weird about an accessory that costs more than the grill itself. But you could probably use it to smoke one kettle as well.

That is super cool. I feel weird about an accessory that costs more than the grill itself. But you could probably use it to smoke one kettle as well.

I'm going to use it on my Performer delux. If I had paid full retail for the Performer, the Caliente cost a little more than half. :p

Back