WSM...Can you smoke/BBQ in the rain?

Clarence

Hi All, mothers day approaching, and was going smoke some beef ribs. It is supposed rain most of the day on Sunday in NY.

What is the best way to handle this? Do I have to put up a tent? Can you smoke in the rain? (Probably not because the briquettes might get wet.

Options? Ideas?

I have my WSM on a rolling plant stand that Mom and Dad got me and you can set up under cover and then once assembled roll the smoker out to safety. At that point taking the lid off is getting a minimal amount of rain into the smoker, and even less down by the coals as the food, grates, water pan, etc are all in the way. I'm really not prone to opening the smokers very much once they are set up, so that pretty much makes it a none issue. I've never noted a problem with the small amount of water that may get into the top vent, and the little that comes in from the seams in the sides of the WSM only seams to add up if I'm not using the smoker and forget to cover it. Of course I've never attempted any of this in a long steady down-pour, so I suppose that could change things? Good luck!

The rain hitting the WSM is going to cool it down considerably so you'll use more fuel. I have a lawn umbrella and stand that I use sometimes.

Ditto to what Dustin said. I've used a patio umbrella in the rain many times. When you need to smoke, you need to smoke, rain or no rain. I would only add that if you use the umbrella pay attention to the wind. An umbrella without a table to stabilize it can become a missle.

The WSM lid fits inside the center section so that any internal condensation, goo, etc. runs down inside the cooker, rather than down the outside. If it is raining moderately and steadily, all the rain that hits the lid will also run down inside the cooker and collect in the base. An umbrella or a pop-up work pretty well, although, a thunderstorm once came through while I was cooking under a pop-up and filled it with water in a matter of minutes until the weight collapsed the pop-up.

WSM storage tip: If you leave your WSM outside between cooks, flip the center section over for storage. The lid now fits on the outside of the center section. Any rain will run off the outside of the cooker and the inside will stay dry as a bone.

Jeff

I've got a Quick Shade canopy that is 12 x 12. Can be easily be set up for cooking in the rain. I also have heavy duty canvas tarps, rolled on a pole, attached to the frame. If there is wind the tarp can be lowered. It shelters from wind blown rain and also it's weight helps anchor the canopy. I can also use it for shade in the summer months. It's gotten me by until I can build a more permanent cooking area.

Last edited:
I really hate this design...there should be a 2mm drain hole that you can align when you put the grill away to prevent most of the water from running down into the grill...I had a cover that was leaking once and I didn't know it and I opened the grill to find 3 inches of water in the bottom and mold all over the surfaces...not a happy camper...

This question really is a gateway to myriad “Can You” questions!
The short answer is “Of course you can” but...
A-Be prepared for all of the above caveats.
B-An even more widely variable “completion time.”
C-Having a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you come in, soaked to the skin, spluttering and stammering with a platter of wonderful feasting material!
Some of the worst weather provides some of the biggest rewards! I love doing deep winter things and seeing the looks of neighbors of “What is that lunatic Lewis making that smells so fabulous?” And “He’s at it again in a snowstorm!”
I just figure the thing is covered, as long as I can maintain temperature, it will be fine.

Here is my solution. Not recommended for windy conditions.......and it requires a Performer for a base.

Good one Pat! I snagged a 16” section of gas line from Consumers when they were doing some gas line replacement on the street, used some hose clamps to attach it to the leg on my big performer mod. Unfortunately, my wife will not let me fill in the small flower bed so I could work on the “back” side. That would be very convenient!

Back