What Will You Smoke For Smoke Day This Year?

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So many choices available..... I will be smoking a Chuckeye steak, a chicken breast, and a nice pork chop. All low and slow, and hope to
figure out how to get them done at the same time. Choice of wood this year is oak, and all on the WSM 14.5.

What will you smoke for Smoke Day?

I'm doing the usual pork butt. I've done one every year on smoke day for the last dozen years. I use the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe. Lately, I've been doing both mustard and vinegar sauce for serving.

As that Sunday is also John Wayne’s birthday (111 this year), I am planning a party for Sunday which will include but not be limited to, brisket, pulled pork, maybe ribs, salad, beans, pie, Wild Turkey, Sauza Conmemerativo tequila.
Will have my band buddies over for the feasting too so, also on tap will be music, and merriment!

Last edited:
I'm thinking baby backs, or spares. I did a couple of pork butts a few weeks ago so the freezer is still full.

Unfortunately, we won't be participating in Smoke day this year. We're heading to the south side of town and going camping.
But I'm gonna grill something! Does that count? :D

We're going to a new (to is) campground in Boone over the holiday, and we decided all our meals would be cooked outside either on the grill, smoker, plow disc wok, or dutch oven! If I take my mini, it will be pulled pork, if I take the 22" WSM, brisket will be on the menu..decisions decisions....
Tim

I have smoked six briskets for three separate occasions over the past three weeks. I am going with pork butt. I'll be making some jalapeno poppers too.

Not all on one day but beer can chicken sat, and havent decided yet on which for which day but some racks of ribs and i have a nice two bone prime rib Im planning on smoking as well

Company coming to visit from Missouri. Going to treat them to pork shoulder and beef brisket. Attempting to smoke both on the WSM.

I'll be doing a pork butt, only my second one. I did one last October and it turned out pretty well. I'm excited to see if I can improve on it.

I am not sure yet.
I got a big chicken in the freezer that I may smoke (normally I grill chcken, so may be a nice change), or beef ribs.
I am quite sure I will throw a couple eggs on the smoker as well.

I am going to be quite busy, so it's going to be a cook where I won't be able to monitor anything very well....

I love a good smoked chicken. I smoked one last weekend with a smokehouse maple rub and used pecan wood and it was great. We eat a lot of chicken so I feel like I've gotten pretty good at it, but the wife said it was better than normal.

Having recently done Harry Soo's Masterclass in Perth, Australia. Im going to put some newly learnt knowledge into practise and make some Brisket. My brisket injection arrived just in time yesterday in the post, hopefully my WSM Smoke Day T-Shirt arrives today with any luck (I was a bit slow ordering). BTW, love this years design.

I'm going to throw on some spare ribs with a simple homemade rub and sause that has been a hit with everyone. I'm also going to experiment and do some mac and cheese.

I have not done anything on my WSM for a couple months, so I'm really looking forward to this weekend! Like a kid before Christmas! :wsm:

I cannot wait for my first Smoke Day cook!

I have a 12# packer brisket I'm planning on doing. After trimming I should have about 10# to cook. I am doing this one Texas style with just good ol' salt and pepper. I am thinking around 10 hour cook, wrap after 5, and then rest for 2 for a total time of about 12 hours. I am using my 18.5" WSM using the minion method and pecan chunks. Hopefully I can get the cook out of 1 full KBB load in the ring. My only questionable thing is we are to get 80% chance of thunder storms in PA tomorrow which my affect my cook time and temps but I plan on setting up the pop up tent and cooking under there and if needed setting up a tarp on the side if the rain is really bad. Also I am trying out the vortex for its first run on the 22.5" kettle for some wings to eat while we wait for the brisket.

I cannot wait for my first Smoke Day cook!

I have a 12# packer brisket I'm planning on doing. After trimming I should have about 10# to cook. I am doing this one Texas style with just good ol' salt and pepper. I am thinking around 10 hour cook, wrap after 5, and then rest for 2 for a total time of about 12 hours. I am using my 18.5" WSM using the minion method and pecan chunks. Hopefully I can get the cook out of 1 full KBB load in the ring. My only questionable thing is we are to get 80% chance of thunder storms in PA tomorrow which my affect my cook time and temps but I plan on setting up the pop up tent and cooking under there and if needed setting up a tarp on the side if the rain is really bad. Also I am trying out the vortex for its first run on the 22.5" kettle for some wings to eat while we wait for the brisket.

Enjoy it!!! I get at least 13 hours with a full ring of KBB using the minion method. Oh, and for the wings, pay attention. The directions that came with mine side cook for like an hour. Mine are always done in about 25 minutes. Have fun!!!

Back