My first Performer

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
Been looking for awhile found one I liked paid $85.00 which in ATL seemed to be an excellent price seen many always over $150. Its the plum color different for sure, they melted the bottom of the charcoal plastic holder how have no idea could care less, humid here so keep my charcoal in the basement anyway.

Has some marks on the edge of the lid guessing that is from putting the lid in the basket holder but all in all pretty nice will have some questions but now I have my performer and I rebuilt a 1000 redhead gasser for my wife so she is happy but this one is my job.

The grate in pretty good shape does have some rust in the middle hope you can see it is that just a matter of firing it up brush clean them maybe rub down with some cooking oil after you are done or is somebody making one in stainless know but for the time being going to use it the way it is.

As always thanks for the help.

Brian

Mu6riT4.jpg

fp8ODvJ.jpg

DXGKsIW.jpg

XliIeHF.jpg

K05BaB3.jpg

vZhS0vf.jpg

I always liked that color. If I ever found a donor bowl in that color or blue I'd transplant that to my old performer I found for free.

I'm ashamed to say that today is the first time this season I'm using it.

1ea1GKF.jpg

Garth, looks like you have the 1996 model which had the stainless table think that was the year way better than the newer ones. 2 weeks ago in ATL there was someone who listed a blue with the stainless did not even have 5 hours to respond and it was gone for $150.00 it was pretty far away for me maybe 3 hours but surely I would have run down there on a weekend.

I like the green by the way.

Brian

Garth, looks like you have the 1996 model which had the stainless table think that was the year way better than the newer ones. 2 weeks ago in ATL there was someone who listed a blue with the stainless did not even have 5 hours to respond and it was gone for $150.00 it was pretty far away for me maybe 3 hours but surely I would have run down there on a weekend.

I like the green by the way.

Brian

It's a DD 2000 year. Craiglist ad said it was on the curb posted at 5am on a sunday.. When I rolled up at 6am the owner was coming out to check to see if it was still there since people had been calling him to check. He helped me load up to my car and let the other person know that it was gone.

Super lucky score.

Congrats on your Performer! That's a sweet one. Color is actually "brick red." Being a 2012 model, it's a Gen3. There's a number of upgrades possible if it strikes your fancy. The new metal table from Gen4 is a direct swap, as is the larger lid bale which would let your lid stand straight up. There's a number of options for SS racks. Weber sells a hinged one, it's pn#80728. Killagrilla offers several models of SS grates for the 22: http://killagrilla.com/ Adrenaline BBQ offers one that fits well with their Slow N Sear. It has a single flip up grate but the flip up part is wider to work with the SnS. https://abcbarbecue.com/product/22-cooking-grate/

Dave, thanks for the info will look into those options. I would have never figured it was brick red but my eyes are not what they used to be I like it though its different.

Garth that really was an unbelievable deal.

Brian

Brian, just use the charcoal bin as a trash bag holder during parties and don’t worry about the bottom. You could replace it but, that particular feature never made much sense to me.

Brian, just use the charcoal bin as a trash bag holder during parties and don’t worry about the bottom. You could replace it but, that particular feature never made much sense to me.
I love the charcoal bin feature for storing charcoal in the bag.
Keeps it dry and handy.

Tim, I like that idea using the bin with a liner for parties. I am not going to replace it no need, its a very short walk to my shop in the basement where I keep the charcoal so its really not any effort.

I don't even need a cover for it as it will be stored under the deck which I laid flagstone and then used some corrugated metal under the deck to keep my lawn mower and smoker dry, my deck is about 10' high.

As other had stated a stainless steel cooking grate is pretty much the only thing this grill could of came with to make it better. I've found that propane assist super handy. Almost never use my charcoal chimminy.

Dave, thanks for the info will look into those options. I would have never figured it was brick red but my eyes are not what they used to be I like it though its different.

Garth that really was an unbelievable deal.

Brian

You're welcome Brian. Personally, I think it's kind of funny as that color isn't what comes to mind when I hear "red brick" ;)

You will love that Performer. Welcome to the brick red club. I just picked up a brick red OTG.

Brian, nice score you're going to love it.
If you get tired of replacing the little gas bottles you can get a Q adapter hose that will allow you to use a standard 20# tank, much cheaper way to go. I'm on year four with the same tank. If you don't move it around a lot it's the best way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07C5NYDT5/tvwb-20

Rich thanks for the info I do need to move it around as its stored under my deck which has a corrugated roof so its dry I just need to move it about 15' to use it so I assume it would need to disconnect it then reconnected when you move it. I actually think your solution is better as I have 3 tanks as I have a 1000 also 2 tanks always filled don't want to be one of those people hey I have a cookout just ran out of gas my wife would kill me by the way.

I would never need it to be portable since it is staying in the same spot not like I am using it at a camp site or something. Looks like my home depot has the 1 pound 2 pack for under 7 bucks however my local Ace fills a 20 pound which is really 15 for under 12 bucks. Your idea sounds like a no brainier if I did my math correctly please not my strong suit. But should be around $52 bucks for 15 pounds of propane with the 2 pack. $25 bucks for that attachment and 12 bucks for the 15 pound propane tank refill. So around $37.00 for the setup with the 20 pound tank with the added benefit if I run out of propane with the performer I just switch one of my tanks or the other way around.

D, Congrats will be cooking on mine this weekend spend a bit of time cleaning it up taking the ash sweeper out some of the blades were warped due to nobody ever cleaning it. Removing it was a nightmare till I finally got it and used my torch.

I have another post here got stainless steel GBS grates for it so far according to Rich they are good and not a ton of money. Start a thread post some pics so we can see it.

Well got her done cooking on it tonight, still need to patch the charcoal bin but don't need it for now.
jApGzWS.jpg
TZld588.jpg
YJQHdTB.jpg
v6sQNJ4.jpg
ufHx5UN.jpg

Got it as clean for me as I wanted to, its lighting in the first pic the bottom of the bowl is fine. New charcoal grate and new GBS SS grate which like Rich said seems to be good quality cooking on it tonight.

The ash sweeper had 2 bent arms got it out no easy feat as that damn washer on the bottom was stuck but after a few days of pb blaster took a torch to the inside of the bowl where the h piece goes thru the blades then hit the bottom after wire brushing took a thin bladed screwdriver and gently got it loosened from the bottom of the bowl. Wife made a comment on the table she was not crazy about the plastic one.

Last edited:

Back