Love my Cardinals, but digging the Orioles too

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
At age 71, and with a lifelong interest in birds, I had never seen a Baltimore, or any other type, oriole.
May 1st Jo says: "There's an orange bird on the hummingbird feeder."
I jumped from my chair and took a look.
Here's what I saw:

I started putting out orange halves and grape jelly to keep him around.
Little did I know what I was starting, before long they were coming in groups of 6 to 8.
I'm going on a second 32 oz jar of jelly, and more oranges.
Here are a few pics, some were shot through open mini blinds in the deck door, and most all have been cropped.

Wet from the rain:

This one is an Orchard oriole.

Female Baltimore:

Love your shots Bob! What colorful birds! Are you on a tripod or hand held? Speaking of your “Cardinals”, I see Yadier took one for the team. Out for a month. Yeouch!!

Last edited:
Great pictures. I vaguely recall seeing an oriole when I was a kid but not in many years. I never thought about putting out oranges. I've got half a box that didn't get eaten this winter. Now I have a use for them.

Great shots, Bob. You're killing it on the depth of field - impressive with moving targets. Please post more pix if any Red Sox show up near the deck. ;)

Last edited:
Very nice, Bob! Photos are spectacular. My neighbor puts out orange halves on his tree from time to time and a few always seem to show up. Guess it's time to pull my camera out of moth balls and shoot some pics. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Thanks guys!

Cliff,
All shots were hand held.
Pentax has a great in camera shake reduction system, and excellent, nearly noise free, high ISO capabilities.
Some of these were at 1600 ISO.

I thought I posted on this yesterday afternoon, but I don't see it. Anyway beautiful pictures Bob. We have some finches here but not much else except lots of hummers and of course Bubba our great horned owl that likes to hang out in our backyard tree and spook Abby. Abby loves to be outside and if she comes in in the afternoon I know Bubba is camped out in our tree
Love watching the little male hummers get into dog fights fighting over the feeder.

everyday they're here.... a few minutes ago in the pouring rain, they were slurpin' up the Welch's concord grape jelly...
there's two out there right now!

everyday they're here.... a few minutes ago in the pouring rain, they were slurpin' up the Welch's concord grape jelly...
there's two out there right now!
I remembered that's what you fed them, so when I saw the first one I headed to the store for grape jelly and oranges.
They went through 2 large jars and some of my apricot preserves in 10 days.
Still a few around, hope they stay and nest.

Back