Newly Refurbed Silver B

Christian A

With the tips and ideas I got here, and lots of degreaser, a strong power washer, a bag of XXXX steel wool, high heat paint and this is the result:

ib99hzA.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Christian, this is all I see on mobile:

MN9deWo.png

Fwiw, I've always had great luck with imgur over Photobucket.

I'm dying to see the grill!

Yah, photobucket went rouge. Need to use Imgur or Flicker or one of the other non-commy photo hosting sites.

Sorry Christian, this is all I see on mobile:

MN9deWo.png

Fwiw, I've always had great luck with imgur over Photobucket.

I'm dying to see the grill!

Thanks for the tip- You can see a picture on the Introduce yourself thread- Hello From Los Angeles- I'd love to hear your feed back

Wow, very cool. What color is that lid. It looks almost orange to me. I am guessing it is red but with some weird lighting or something.

Yah, it will handle the heat fine, but that paint is not nearly as durable as the ceramic coating on the lid. You will probably start to see nicks and scrapes pretty easily depending on how careful you are. It is generally not considered a good idea to paint the lids. But, I hope yours holds well.

Christian: Go ahead and give it a go with the copper paint. It may hold up a good long time, but I would refrain from putting things like BBQ tools and other stuff on top of the grill. I will be interested to see how it looks after a summer of cooking. If you decide it isn't working out, it should be pretty easy to take the paint off if you decide to. The nice porcelain will still be under neath it.

By the way, I am guessing that is the Rustoleum Ultra High Heat paint and it does work real well on Weber Q grill lids.

HVb3mEz.jpg

Christian,
I, too, will be very interested to see how you fare over time. It is a cool look, so I hope it does well for you, even if not the recommended method.

I picked up an old Genesis where someone painted the hood with flat black high heat paint:p! Yech!!:p:p The paint actually seemed to have held up, but looked horrible. After first using 0000 steel wool to remove a small portion, I followed advice from Larry Michaels and hit it with paint remover. The old flat black paint just melted off revealing a beautiful maroon hood:D! I never have figured out what the prior owner was thinking:confused:.

In your case, you have made the hood look great, so I agree with the advice to be careful and give it a go. If it doesn’t work out, paint remover will easily put you back where you started.

Has anyone ever painted the endcaps of a lid another color? Curious how that would look especially with a stainless hood.

You can do any color you want. Red with a black hood comes to mind. It's painting the porcelain that is useless because the lids are not painted to begin with. Porcelain is basically glass that is fused to metal. So think about painting a winder for instance. Yes you can, but no it's not effective

Back