What’s Up with Summits?

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
I have seen mentioned in a few threads that used Summits aren’t as desireable as Genesis grills due to some design defects. Is there something specific to look out for? There’s a real nice one locally on Craigslist but I am not sure if buying a used Summit is a good idea. The thought of a 6 burner Summit is tempting but I don’t want a grill rendered useless due to a defect, either.

Here’s the link to the listing in question:

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-platinum-6-burner/6578244680.html

Eric,
In a number of ways this was one of the very best grills Weber made (not including the car-priced Vieluxe).

I LOVE the stainless frame and the stainless cabinet pieces of the exclusive Platinum version of the Summit. These were great ideas that died with the short-lived Platinum name. The current version looks imposing but, lacking the stainless frame and cabinet parts, reduces to a pile of rust in our South Florida salt air:

242j1pl.jpg

This particular Platinum is the BEST of the bunch with its rear infrared burner and rotisserie setup.

Now, the very bad news: the firebox on these grills is part cast aluminum with the rest being porcelain plated regular steel. Possibly due to heat expansion and contraction and moisture held on by hot grease, the porcelain portion seems to crack, most particularly in the front where the burners go in. Then the rust monster goes to work leaving you an unsafe, unworkable grill. For this reason I have personally given up on Summits, except I admit this particular model still tempts.

Here is the firebox front on one of my current generation Summit projects, maybe a lost cause:

2le45ki.jpg

Why Weber didn’t use all cast aluminum like on the “lesser” Genesis is a mystery topic here on this forum.

The one you are looking at does appear lightly used and/or well cared for. I would CAREFULLY examine the inside front of the firebox. If there is rust and the seller is the original owner, see if you can get them to make a warranty claim. If there is rust but that is not an option consider carefully before buying. You might be able to purchase a replacement for the firebox front or perhaps get a sheet metal shop to fabricate a repair. Either, way your grill is going to cost a good bit more than just the initial purchase price.

It may well still be worth it to you if you have reason to need a large grill and want good space for rotisserie cooking.

There are a number of recent threads here about Summits that you can search for and I believe get some benefit.

Last edited:
Jon, thank you for explaining it so well. The seller says there is no rust in the firebox or the cabinet. That being said, about 2 weeks ago I picked up a Genesis Platinum (the 2005 model with the stainless frame) and I think I will stick with that. It’s smaller than the Summit and doesn’t have the prestige, but it will run forever and parts are easy to come by. But the Summit is tempting...

Erik,
That’s kind of funny, because I just picked up a Genesis Platinum this week!

I hope to post pictures by the weekend. I love everything about this one except the painted steel cart pieces. Every single one has rust:mad:...If I could get my sheet metal friend to make me stainless replacements I might have the perfect grill:D! Probably won’t happen, so I may convert it to an open cart design as I saw another member here do.

I used to think summit was same quality with more bells and whistles. Unfortunately it's only more bells and whistles and a dip in quality design. Hopefully they step up and make summits worth the premium in all areas.

I used to think summit was same quality with more bells and whistles. Unfortunately it's only more bells and whistles and a dip in quality design. Hopefully they step up and make summits worth the premium in all areas.

Garth,
I totally agree. For the big bucks the Summit commands, they should offer a truly solid grill. Maybe the Vieluxe was a reach too far, but the Platinum Summit discussed here shows they can make a solid frame and long lasting cabinets. The Platinum (and all) Genesis grills shows the longevity of cast aluminum fireboxes. I can’t see why Weber couldn’t put it all together with a quality grill featuring 304 stainless frame, cabinetry and shelves and also have an all cast aluminum firebox. They could - and absolutely should - do that. It would put Weber back in the place of respect the original Genesis earned for them in gas grills.

You would think they could design and produce that grill and not have to charge $2000 or more for it.

Where was the thread about converting to an open cart? I'd like to see how they did that. Thanks

Here is the link:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73048-Weber-Genesis-Platinum-2005-Restore

I think he came up with a clean solution that will make his grill last forever. I am thinking of doing a variation of his idea by replacing the bottom with two bolted on stainless frame tubes connecting the two sides, front and back. I might then try using my overflowing supply of old durawood bars and stainless Z brackets my firend is supposed to be making for me to create an open cart that has some throw-back style but with the stainless and light gray colors.

I think Leandro may have decided to change the hood back to the Platinum one with the "monochrome" light gray sides, but I know others prefer the contrast of the black. Just a matter of personal taste. I kind of like the uniqueness of the light gray and stainless on these short-lived Platinums.

In addition to other's comments, I think alot of folks buying new tend to question how much increased value they will get for a Summit that can be 2x or more the cost of a Genesis. Some recent Summit models like the S420 didn't really seem to offer much performance for the increased cost.

The Summits do however offer a rotisserie burner which can't be replicated in the current Genesis line. So if that rotisserie burner is worth the premium, then there's a good reason to buy one at least.

Personally I considered buying a 4-6 burner Summit but ended up with two 3-burner Genesis grills which has worked very well for us. In addition to spending less initially I have to believe we save fuel too, since more often than not 3 burners is all we need.

In addition to other's comments, I think alot of folks buying new tend to question how much increased value they will get for a Summit that can be 2x or more the cost of a Genesis. Some recent Summit models like the S420 didn't really seem to offer much performance for the increased cost.

The Summits do however offer a rotisserie burner which can't be replicated in the current Genesis line. So if that rotisserie burner is worth the premium, then there's a good reason to buy one at least.

Personally I considered buying a 4-6 burner Summit but ended up with two 3-burner Genesis grills which has worked very well for us. In addition to spending less initially I have to believe we save fuel too, since more often than not 3 burners is all we need.

Steve,

Depending on the Genesis you have I also think you CAN get decent rotisserie performance. There are rotisserie setups available for all of the Genesis grills. I don't have personal experience (YET), but I think the original Genesis with the 13 flavorizer bars would be the best or maybe the first Genesis 300 that has the side burner knobs (E-W burners as we say here). You just remove the grates and on the old Genesis the top row of flavorizer bars and you have a plenty deep capacity for rotisserie style grilling.

The current Summits are, in my opinion at least, a nightmare to maintain. Much too complicated and with serious compromises in the firebox and cabinet designs - totally unworthy of such an expensive grill. (I know because I fell into that trap with two non-working hulks in my inventory that will take way too much effort and money to get working:mad:...) The older Summit Platinum is the only one I would ever consider and that only if I was sure the firebox was in excellent condition.

Jon,

No argument there, the old E-W burner Genesis grills seem to be pretty designed for rotisserie. I was more referring to the new N-S burner Genesis grills. I'll admit I haven't tried rotisserie on mine but the layout just doesn't seem like it would offer as consistent direct heat as a burner running sideways, I could be wrong.

Jon,

No argument there, the old E-W burner Genesis grills seem to be pretty designed for rotisserie. I was more referring to the new N-S burner Genesis grills. I'll admit I haven't tried rotisserie on mine but the layout just doesn't seem like it would offer as consistent direct heat as a burner running sideways, I could be wrong.

Yes, that is what the experienced rotisserie guys say, and it makes sense. The top model Summit overcomes this with a rear infrared burner. Once again a higher maintenance solution that the Genesis solves simply. I don’t mean to overstate or be one sided. A Summit with a solid firebox is a great grill. I just think they have taken it to an overly complex and less well constructed point that it isn’t a good value.

So I went with a new Summit E-470 a month ago as it had the rotisserie, sear station, other needs I had, and overall I liked the design. I was comparing against was a Genesis II LX; also new. I had read the issues with the Summit on here, but this was the grill for me and for what I was spending on the LX, decided to just spend the extra money on the Summit. Any tips on maximizing the longevity? I keep it clean (make sure it’s cleaned after every use, just did a deep clean yesterday which i plan to make a regular occurrence), keep it covered always, and am located in Washington DC, so no salt water weather related issues. Appreciate any tips for those of you that have done restorations and seen what fails! Thanks.

Last edited:
Jon,

Don't waste your time and money bothering. I tried my rotisserie on my Summit 450 comparing it to the Genesis performance for same. Waste of time. Because of the NS burners only the ends of whatever I cooked did so properly i.e. on a chicken the ends got really dark and the middle took forever to cook which over cooked the ends of the bird. Same issue with beef roast. With an old style Genesis the heat goes all the way across and with proper use of front/back burner(s) you can achieve outstanding results as good as and in some cases better than a grill with dedicated rotisserie burner. So if you have a NS Genesis don't waste your time and money on a rotisserie. It is not worth it. You'd do better finding a good old style Genesis and a rotisserie kit for it and use it for that. Still cheaper than buying a Summit and gives you a 2nd grill for odds and ends

So I went with a new Summit E-470 a month ago as it had the rotisserie, sear station, other needs I had, and overall I liked the design. I was comparing against was a Genesis II LX; also new. I had read the issues with the Summit on here, but this was the grill for me and for what I was spending on the LX, decided to just spend the extra money on the Summit. Any tips on maximizing the longevity? I keep it clean (make sure it’s cleaned after every use, just did a deep clean yesterday which i plan to make a regular occurrence), keep it covered always, and am located in Washington DC, so no salt water weather related issues. Appreciate any tips for those of you that have done restorations and seen what fails! Thanks.

I'd look into some rust preventative coatings to protect the cart. If you really want to extend it's life, check out the internal channel/frame spray or whatever from Eastwood. From what I've seen, if that grill fails, it will most likely be the lower part of the cart. The bottom pan and the lower frame/legs, especially where the casters are.

Basically, spend another $50 or so and invest some time to try and make the thing bullet proof. Rustoleum makes a clear coat rust preventative spray. Not sure of it's quality, but might give something like that a shot as well for the exposed surfaces.

Then, just be vigilant. If the cart does start to develop some rust, if you catch it early enough, you can mitigate it.

Lift the cover off after a rain. Yes they prevent rain getting into but due to humidity there is always moisture build up under these covers and the grills don't dry well with the covers on.

I have a 2005 Summit D6 and I love it. Cook on it 3 nights a week year round and have not a minute of trouble with rusting. I think it is super versatile and other than replacing some igniter parts that wore out over time it has been great. Living in Tennessee salt air is not an issue. Mine is a built in version so maybe the frame they are mentioning I don't have, what frame I do have is stainless. I restored a 2001 Genesis Gold C and it did have some rust on the frame that I had repaired but not too much. I am a big fan of the Summits!

Back