My Holy Grail

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I have been on the hunt for a Blue lid for over a year. I missed out on a $70 one last fall. Then, I found one a week ago but the grill was in good shape and he wanted $225. I am looking for a "Deal" so $225, regardless of the condition of the grill is not going to work. BUT!!!!

I was just perusing craigslist and was going back through some of the older listings and ones close but not in the target city and I noticed one that I had already looked at more than a week ago. As I was just about to click past it, I noticed something. That lid looks kinda "BLUE". The listing is actually for two grills and it sounds like one has been canibalized a bit but they BOTH have BLUE lids. I called the guy and they are both still available which is lucky because they have been listed for over a week. He has them listed for $60 for the pair, but will take $50.

Two Holy Grails. While the drive is about 115 miles, it is within my predetermined zone for picking up grills. I just have to find the time now to go get them.

TNEmAdL.jpg

hdZUOqa.jpg

I just scheduled to pick them up around 5pm tonight. :) ;) :D

qfwVjXA.jpg

Oh, and by the way, are those Silver B's are does the double drop down table make them something else than a standard Silver B?

Last edited:
I agree with Larry. That does suggest that there was some swapping that occurred somewhere along the line. I have always thought that the double row flavorizer bars went out when they changed to the Silver name. If the one is a deep box, it probably started as a 1000/2000/3000 grill and got a hood transplant. Maybe the prior owner sought out blue hoods;)!

So your blue hood was already out there all the time we were telling you to be patient and wait:cool:!

I will have to look. I didn't spend much time looking them over. I assumed they were both Silver's. He said he swapped the bars from one into the other, so I assume they were both 5 bar silver grills. But, they are still loaded up in my pickup because it is raining like heck out there. I drove home 100 miles in a torrent. I will update conditions and configurations later on.

Yah, I am thinking the same thing. I would go out an look for sure, but it is raining hard out there. I do know they are NOT identical grills. One has the bolts on the outside of the endcapes, where the other one does not. I am not sure what year that weber switched from the bolts that go through the endcaps to the ones that are built into the inside of the endcaps.

Does anyone know if there is any significance to having the swing table on both sides?

Bruce,
Congrats on finding not one but two of the Blue-lid grills.

I had another spare Blue lid but I gave it away to a friend in need, but I did keep the end caps for me. They were the ones with the built in bolts/studs.

It was a Shallow box Silver produced around 2001.

Jeff

I would be thrilled to find end caps with the studs instead of the screws like the ones I have now. Just an aside, but my personal grill is an ever evolving labor. Sometimes I wonder if I pay more attention to the grill than, say my family! Just kidding. Kind of.

Right on Bruce...welcome to the bluehead club! Yah, I found my holy grail twice also these past 2 weeks. I picked up a 3000 (probably a 5000) last weekend and yesterday I took hold of another 3000 redhead. As the weather gets warmer (over here anyways) the grills start popping up on CL/FB/OfferUp.

I would be thrilled to find end caps with the studs instead of the screws like the ones I have now. Just an aside, but my personal grill is an ever evolving labor. Sometimes I wonder if I pay more attention to the grill than, say my family! Just kidding. Kind of.

Haha, yah I think I have that same problem of paying more attention to my grills than my family LOL :cool:

Yah, there was nothing here until about two weeks ago. Then they started popping. Actually we had a real nice warm spell about a month ago and they started popping them, but when the weather turned bad again, the listings dissappeared again until recently when it warmed up again. But, i am done collecting now, I have to start rehabbing.

Yah, I am thinking the same thing. I would go out an look for sure, but it is raining hard out there. I do know they are NOT identical grills. One has the bolts on the outside of the endcapes, where the other one does not. I am not sure what year that weber switched from the bolts that go through the endcaps to the ones that are built into the inside of the endcaps.

Does anyone know if there is any significance to having the swing table on both sides?

Looking at the pictures again I am not really sure. Makes more sense that they are both 5 bar Silver fireboxes.

On the Silver grills it seems like sometimes they had the right hand table and sometimes not. I had a 2005 or 2006 that had that, but I don’t believe the catalog shows that as a regular option on the Silver. It came standard on the Gold. I wonder if it was a “special edition” feature at select retailers. I got mine at Ace (on clearance because the 300s were coming out). Ace often has special edition version grils.

Looking at the pictures again I am not really sure. Makes more sense that they are both 5 bar Silver fireboxes.

On the Silver grills it seems like sometimes they had the right hand table and sometimes not. I had a 2005 or 2006 that had that, but I don’t believe the catalog shows that as a regular option on the Silver. It came standard on the Gold. I wonder if it was a “special edition” feature at select retailers. I got mine at Ace (on clearance because the 300s were coming out). Ace often has special edition version grils.

You're on the right track, Jon. The one with the right-side swing table is called the Silver B Premium. It just happens that the non-Premium Silver frames already have provisions for a right-hand swing table to be retrofitted, just need the correct swing table and the endcap. I've retrofitted 2 of my keeper grills with right-side swing tables.

35240007713_e7b08033c8_h.jpg

They are both Silver B grills. One is a 2000 and one is a 2001. One of the frames is probably toast. Completely rusted off about two inches up. There is some of that bubbling paint where the bolt goes into the cook box on both frames. That isn't good, but hopefully it isn't too bad. Both grills have been severely neglected with the remnants of critter nests in both. I can probably salvage one set of stamped SS grates and maybe both sets of burner tubes (I didn't look them over too well).
I came across a first for me on one of these grills. The hood pivot pins on one were completely corroded in the hood side. I treated both pins with some WD40 and then I hammered to the point I though I might brake one of the hood pivots clean off the end cap. Then I got out a vice grips and Tried to twist the pins and I got so the lid was lifting up but was still froze in the hood and eventually twisted the pins off. I finally just broke out the angle grinder with cutting wheel and cut the pin on one side between the hood and cookbox pivot. I think I managed to do it without doing much damage to the cookbox pivot or end cap pivot. I will have to eventually either replace the end caps or drill the pins out which will be tough to drill out a steel pin out of an aluminum end cap.

How the heck could a steel pin corrode and bond to aluminum that strongly. It might has well have been welded.

Anyway, I got the blue hood I wanted along with probably one complete rehab grill in parts and then some good spare parts. I would post some photos, but aside from the blue hoods, they are your basic 16-17 year old Genesis Silver B neglected grills.

Another thing that might be interesting to some is that it looks like Weber switched from the Bolt on end caps to the built in bolts between 2000 and 2001. I was thinking that maybe it was when they switched from the Genesis 1000-5000 line to the Silver B/C line, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know of a place to buy hinge pins for the these grills where it doesn't cost $7.00 plus for a set? They should cost less than a quarter each.

Bruce, have you tried Ace or True Value Hardware for the hinge pins? Ace is my go to place for Weber hardware.

Oh, one more thing, does anyone know of a place to buy hinge pins for the these grills where it doesn't cost $7.00 plus for a set? They should cost less than a quarter each.

Try Grainger item #2MVG7. I show $1.70 for a 10 pack without cotter pins (spring loaded ball instead).

LJRFcci.jpg

EDIT: I just got this 10 pack for $1.83, SHIPPED. noice

Last edited:
Bruce,
Fortunately, the problem with the pins fusing to the hood doesn’t happen with the classic Genesis grills that often. It is a regular occurrence with the Genesis 300s. I don’t know why and wonder if the tolerances are tighter, or to sound a little like Larry :D if the materials are cheaper.

It can be tough to fix and drill out as you noted.

I'm being quoted $1.70 + $10.98 for shipping LOL.

I am logged in under my business account, maybe that's it. I paid with my personal card though.

I just got my shipping confirmation and UPS tracking number, should be here Wednesday!

Back