Please help me - just had a stroke and trying to use my grill as for healthier eating

Hello all. I'm an avid 3 season griller. A couple few weeks ago I tried to light my grill and nothing. I also happened to be out of a tank spare tank at the time, so I thought it was a bum tank. I now have another tank and I have the same problem and it's really bumming me out.

I'm not trying to prey on people's sympathies, but I had a stroke a 3 weeks ago and I'm off from work as I recover. I'm 48 year's old and also dealing with a bum thyroid and I need to really watch my blood sugars for a short while too... So, I miss my grill more than ever for low carb variety of foods!

So... What have I tried.

First thing we tried was to switch to a different tank - the tank still does not allow any gas into the grill.

I replaced the regulator - nothing. No gas would enter the grill.

I cleaned the grill and the burners. It was DIRTY, but nothing seemed clogged. I'll need to replace a flavorizer bar. (or the set).

I can't think of anything else to try besides an expensive repair call. The grill is about 5 years old. It's a Weber Genesis 310. I've have read and watched dozens of articles and videos and I just don't know what to try next.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Are you sure it isn't getting any gas into the grill? Did you try lighting it with a match or long BBQ lighter? If it isn't the regulator, and you have tried different tanks, then i don't know what else might be wrong. I know that spiders and other critters tend to get into the burner tubes and clog them up.

I have three Genesis E300 grills but I haven't dug into them and don't have any prior knowledge so my expertise is limited with those models. There are others on here with much more experience with them that should be able to help you out more.

Do you have a neighbor or a friend that can test your propane tanks with his/her own grill, so that you can rule out your tanks... or have a friend bring a known working tank and connect it to your grill?

I'd make sure you're not tripping the safety valve on the regulator... Reset it and then turn that knob very slowly

Last edited:
I put my money on bad igniters and try it with a long stick lighter. If it fires up fix the built in igniters on the grill. You should be fine then

Thanks all for your trying... I looked again. I reconnected again... and there is just not a sign at all that an fuel is getting into the grill. I have reset, reset, reset to see if something got tripped. I close the valve of the talk. I disconnect and it quick burst of gas being released noise and the sound and smell of it. I reconnect the tank to the hose. I SLOWLY turning on... at full open and almost full open I try and I turn on the burners on the lightening bolt and I can see the sparks trying to light the burner when I take the everything away to see the insides, but nothing. There is NO smell of gas either and I ALWAYS smell when the gas is on and the burner is not lit (as that is a safety feature too).

I don't see how it can be spiders unless it got into the tubing past the regulator and in that area where it's running parallel to the back and running then to the burner knob. The one thing I can't seem to check is that point from the regulator to the burner connection point. I don't think I can take photos as a newbie, but f I could I would.

My guess is that you're not tightening the Acme nut enough. Not being funny here (as I am a stroke survivor also) but perhaps your hand and arm strength is not enough to get the release valve in the tank outlet to mate correctly to the regulator. Or maybe you're cross threading it? In any case perhaps it would help if you got a trusted friend or neighbor to help you out on that

nope and nope unfortunately. I suppose this there a slight possibility that there is something wrong with a THIRD tank. I might test the soap bubble test one more time too. It makes no sense. I couldn't open the third as somehow it is shut. My huband tried too.

I had a similar issue a couple years back with a brand new tank. I had taken my old trustee tanks to the local hardware store to have them filled and the clerks said they could not fill the tanks, as they looked fine, but the inspection on the valve portion was only good for 10 years and both of mine were due for inspection. Which of course was more than the cost of buying new tanks.... So anyway, I handed them my perfectly functioning tanks to recycle and they sold/filled 2 new ones for me. Neither tank would work at home. Just like you said, no gas into the grills or turkey burners. So rather miffed I went back to the store and asked them to remedy the situation. Now, I'm not sure what this was supposed to do, but the clerk took both tanks and slammed them down on the asphalt really hard. I can't remember exactly, but I feel like that did the trick for one of the tanks, and as for the other, I believe I had to bring it back to them and they exchanged/filled a new one.

It is all that overflow protection apparatus on them most likely.

I wish that were true. I've looked at it ag least 9 times. My husband had redone it.

Is there a possibility that two tanks in a row that are just faulty? That is the last we can think of. I even did the soapy water test AGAIN.

We tried to attach a third tank as we have three, but wouldn't you know it the third tank (just bought) last l last week is open. My husband and I can't get it unstuck.

Man, you sure are being put through the mill on this. Hi am so sorry and hope and pray you can get it resolved.

Only obvious suggestion I can make is to see if you can seek out a known working tank with fuel and swap it in on your grill.

That sounds like your best next course of action is to try a known good tank. Then at least if that works, you know it is the tank and you can concentrate on getting a good one and not worry about the rest of the grill. If it doesn't work, then you can rule out the tank and work from there.

An easier way for the helper would be if you brought your tank(s) to a friend or neighbor's house and hooked into their grill to test your tanks. It is more effort on your part, but it increases the odds someone will help you, as the less they have to do the more likely they are to help. Just two pennies. Best of luck in your recovery!

Perhaps you can remove the hose from the regulator and burner then blow thru the hose (you now have the hose only with nothing attached to either end) with your mouth to see if the hose is clear. If you can do that easily, it's NOT the hose! If you cannot blow through the hose, the hose is clogged. Clear out the hose with high pressure air or, run a hard plastic rod or something that will not damage the hose, through it. Perhaps some clean round weedeater line may work. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back