The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leave as is or Auto Temp Controller

TVWBB Pro
    If you're having to constantly change the vent openings you should get the smoker up to near working temp and close 2 of the vents and only operate the one that is down wind (from the wind).

Now I use a DigiQ DX2 and a welding blanket (hung from under the deck).
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

TVWBB Member
    IMO and IME, adding temperature monitors and controls can be a bit of a slippery slope. Once you get started - well, I've put the Redi-chek away and am now up to a Flame Boss.

TVWBB Member
    I've got an Auber that never worked right in my 14.5. Maybe 2 out of 20 cooks it held temp. Yesterday I made ribs, got the temp settled at 235f and never touched it again. Temps swung to 229f to 242f, bust most of the time was 233-237f.

I was dead set on getting an ATC, and now I never use it.

If you do a lot of long cooks I would get a temp controller. Even in winter I can set my DigiQ DX2 before I go to bed and it's still dead on when I get up in the morning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12