Leave as is or Auto Temp Controller

Stevie Jay

Last Saturday I smoked a brisket on my 18.5 WSM. It came out great, but I had to constantly adjust the vents (all of them) even the top one. I made the mistake of putting it on my back deck where 8-10 mph winds hit it all day. Now I know to move it to a more sheltered location; however, I was wondering about getting an auto temp controller. What do the experts think? If yes get temp controller, than which ones should I look at?

I got a IQ 110,and will probably always have a temp control. My IQ110 doesn't hold rock solid temps like some people look for. It doesn't hold them in the tolerance the manufacturer claims either. But it does do the job,and does it well within the tolerance of great BBQ. I was kind of disappointed at first. But the fact is. It is very simple to use. Put the knob at the desired temp,and thats it. I have a thermoworks smoke to monitor temps,and i have all but quit using it,now that i am fairly familiar with my controller. So I am happy with it.
There are several good threads here about temp controllers. From as simple as mine,to controllers you can control with your phone, to heater meter you can build. Don't rush out an buy one. Do your home work. and figure out whats important to you,and what really isn't.

I'm not an expert but my personal opinion is that you first try your new location. It is understandable that when first starting out we fuss with the intake and exhaust vents more than is necessary (I'm making an assumption here). How wide were your swings that prompted you to make adjustments? From what I read, some units leak excessively and without gaskets, etc. can result in unstable temps. I personally own 3 WSM's and while all of them leak some (which is normal since they are not designed to be airtight) I can maintain reasonably stable temps without frequent adjustments. The way I look it is that they do need airflow and if mine leak a little--either from the door or the lid--then I treat those leaks somewhat as part of my exhaust airflow and tweak the vent(s) to compensate for those other leaks. But, again, I recall treating those vents like a gas and brake pedal on my first few attempts.

Having said all that, I do have a CyberQ controller (and very recently purchased a Fireboard thermometer, which offers add-on components to become an ATC). I've had the controller for a little over 1 year. It worked quite well for the handful of times that I've used it but I almost never use it for daytime smokes. I will admit, however, it is handy for overnight smokes.

How new are you to the WSM? I know when I first started, I fiddled with the vents constantly and never waited for the temps to settle. I had constant yoyo-ing temps and chased it all night. These days I'm way more relaxed in my approach and it works better. I seriously would have 227 instead of 225 and would go make a vent change, which is just silly. I'm pretty happy if I'm cooking low and slow to hit 225 to 250. I'm trying to cook a little hotter say around 275, I let it ride about 260 to 280. I also know roughly how many coals and what vent settings I need to roughly hit my temp.

I generally don't like temp controllers because I see them as less manly. I'm also the kind of idiot that thinks fruit woods are somehow more feminine than hard woods. I have issues. I think you'll get it either way.

I was with Dustin until he got to the feminine fruit wood thing. :rolleyes:
Get some help Dustin! :)

Before folks started putting ATC's on these things the talk was how great they are for setting and forgetting.
I've always felt that way and never even remotely considered an ATC.

Twice the temp got up around 310 and then came down to 195,etc. Mostly I shut the bottom 3 vents and barely cracked the top vent and got temps from 230-275.

This is my 2nd cook. The ist one, no problem—minimal vent movement and steadier temps. WSM was closer to the house. This time I had it on th back deck where the wind buffered it more (30 ft from the house).

1. Don't over-react. 310 is far from a disaster. Just close the bottom vents to a crack and come back in 20 minutes to check again.
2. BBQ is not a precise science. Some days the WSM wants to stay at 240, some days it rides without complaint at 225. Your Q will come out fine either way.
3. You generally want to keep the top vent open, but if your WSM is a bit leaky and there's a good wind, you might need to reduce it some to keep the temps under control.
4. It's usually much easier to hit a desired temp when crawling up from below than trying to cool down from above. Start making adjustments well before you hit your target.

As you discovered, the wind can mess with the air flow despite your carefully adjusted vents. A wind break is well advised.

If you're having to constantly change the vent openings you should get the smoker up to near working temp and close 2 of the vents and only operate the one that is down wind (from the wind).

Now I use a DigiQ DX2 and a welding blanket (hung from under the deck).

IMO and IME, adding temperature monitors and controls can be a bit of a slippery slope. Once you get started - well, I've put the Redi-chek away and am now up to a Flame Boss.

I've got an Auber that never worked right in my 14.5. Maybe 2 out of 20 cooks it held temp. Yesterday I made ribs, got the temp settled at 235f and never touched it again. Temps swung to 229f to 242f, bust most of the time was 233-237f.

I was dead set on getting an ATC, and now I never use it.

If you do a lot of long cooks I would get a temp controller. Even in winter I can set my DigiQ DX2 before I go to bed and it's still dead on when I get up in the morning.

Not needed. Having said that, I have 2 digi Q's. Bought mainly to control for competitions. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them. One less thing to worry about for a guy that worries too much when competing. When I'm at home the food is ready when I say so. Not so much at competitions.

I love gadgets for bbq so I'm an easy sell.

I messed around with the three vents for years. When friends bought Traeger's, I thought they were cheating. A couple years ago my wife bought me a DigiQ DX2 for Christmas and I've never looked back!

There are so many temp controllers on the market trying for a piece of BBQ Guru's market and most of them are junk. I suggest not wasting your time and money trying to cut corners and go cheap. The DigiQ is worth every penny. I set it for the temp I want and walk away. Go shopping. Take a drive. Every single time I return, the temp is still perfect. I've used it dozens & dozens of times and still love it. I'm sorry I didn't buy it when I first bought my WSM!

When I first got my 18WSM I considered getting one. After the 4th cook on it I realized it held temps consistently enough for me. I also didn't want to spend $250 on a perfectly fine smoker that I only paid $150 for. I would give it a few more cooks and see how it goes. I have been nothing but impressed with the 18's abilities.

When I first got my 18WSM I considered getting one. After the 4th cook on it I realized it held temps consistently enough for me. I also didn't want to spend $250 on a perfectly fine smoker that I only paid $150 for. I would give it a few more cooks and see how it goes. I have been nothing but impressed with the 18's abilities.

That was my original thinking too, but with 20/20 hindsight...
I live in a windy location, by the water. I don't have to mess around
with shielding my WSM from the wind any more too.
Keep your eyes open, as BBQ Guru puts them on sale a couple times a year!

I have no ATC experience, however, but the type of charcoal used can effect smoker temps too.

Lately, I have been experimenting with Royal Oak All Natural Pitmaster Blend charcoal, and my last smoke (pork butt - 14" WSM, with water) pushed my temps above 275° for several hours. All vents were open for the entire cook. I don't fiddle with vents except for breezy conditions.

I think it's like this . . . . If you're not having any difficulty maintaining temps, you don't need one. If you are, they are a lifesaver. And nothing's wrong either way. Just do what works for you.

I started using one when I was competing. It just made my life a whole lot easier. I still use one, in fact, I'm thinking about putting a whole in the side of of my 26er, right under the Slow n' Sear.

BD

Back