Thread: UDS Build with a Heatermeter

TVWBB Member

UDS Build with a Heatermeter

Does anyone have any pictures or directions on how they connected their heatermeter to a UDS? I am looking to plan out my UDS build and want to use my heatermeter for the airflow, instead of the normal method. i tried searching the forum but didn't find any topics. Please feel free to direct me to a post if you have better luck. thanks!
    Kamado Joe Classic

TVWBB Member
    Seems Ralph Trimble did something similar to what i thought would be the best method. Here is the post

If anyone has any experience let me know if this would be the best solution and if the air actually perforates through all the holes in the copper.
    Kamado Joe Classic

TVWBB Wizard
    I used Ralph's RD25 damper with a larger blower. The stock blower is not large enough to get adequate control of the UDS. The RD25 has a 1 inch thread adapter that can be attached to a pipe which can be attached to the UDS.

The blower needs to be atleast 9cfm. The blower that fits the RD25 is an bfb1012hh, which is a 28cfm. So, I would just change the maximum percentage of the blower to around 30% when I had it on the UDS.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    I've never run a UDS but the air burner worked great on my bullet smoker (without a damper). If you balance the amount and size of the holes with the pit size it will tamp down the fire when the blower cuts off. Start out with fewer small holes and do a test cook, if you can't hit the target temp reliably add more/bigger holes.

That's kind of a different beast compared to the RD3/25, where the damper really clamps down air flow tight to choke the fire, but when it opens up the fan can really pump some air.

Both methods work great, I think the air burner may burn a bit more fuel than a damper.
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 05-01-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

G'day, here a link to my UDS & HM setup.: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?709...-build-for-UDS

Still working like a charm, holding temps with less than 1degC over 10 hour cooks which is the longest cooks done so far.