UDS Build with a Heatermeter

JSiravo

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have any pictures or directions on how they connected their heatermeter to a UDS? I am looking to plan out my UDS build and want to use my heatermeter for the airflow, instead of the normal method. i tried searching the forum but didn't find any topics. Please feel free to direct me to a post if you have better luck. thanks!

Seems Ralph Trimble did something similar to what i thought would be the best method. Here is the post

If anyone has any experience let me know if this would be the best solution and if the air actually perforates through all the holes in the copper.

I used Ralph's RD25 damper with a larger blower. The stock blower is not large enough to get adequate control of the UDS. The RD25 has a 1 inch thread adapter that can be attached to a pipe which can be attached to the UDS.

The blower needs to be atleast 9cfm. The blower that fits the RD25 is an bfb1012hh, which is a 28cfm. So, I would just change the maximum percentage of the blower to around 30% when I had it on the UDS.

I've never run a UDS but the air burner worked great on my bullet smoker (without a damper). If you balance the amount and size of the holes with the pit size it will tamp down the fire when the blower cuts off. Start out with fewer small holes and do a test cook, if you can't hit the target temp reliably add more/bigger holes.

That's kind of a different beast compared to the RD3/25, where the damper really clamps down air flow tight to choke the fire, but when it opens up the fan can really pump some air.

Both methods work great, I think the air burner may burn a bit more fuel than a damper.

Last edited:
For my UDS I wanted to be able to use charcoal or an electric element. The electric element allows me to smoke bacon, sausage and things that need to be < 140F. I use the HM in either case.

I created a single 2" hole along the bottom edge and used a threaded steel nipple. I then thread on a PVC 2" threaded to slip connector and slip my HM into this.

I went with 2" because it had to be that big for me to fit my electric element plug through there. Works great. If you are interested I can post a picture. I have only had the PVC get hot once, when I did something stupid. Other than that it has never even gotten warm.

david

Back