Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lava Rocks in a Weber grill

I had several of those lava rock junkers, the last being a Coleman grill I bought because the side tables were on 45 degree angles (actually not a bad idea) and the grill fit perfectly in the corner of my deck at the time. Later, I “upgraded” to those ceramic pyramids. Another joke. I used to look whistfully at Weber grills back then, but they were out of my price range and that was before Craigslist, etc.

I eventually got my first Weber for free here in Florida after our two hurricanes in 2004. It was put out by the road after apparently having been smashed by something falling on it and also probably for just being pretty old. It was my very first lame attempt at restoring a Weber (redhead ), but after hours working on the cast iron grates with hand tools, some paint and some new parts I finally had a REAL grill!

Why would I or anyone ever want to go back to LAVA ROCKS
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 05-02-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    Genesis 330-SE Genesis Silver C Q3200 Q1200 Performer 1 green kettle. Projects: Genesis Skyline 4000 one redhead and one maroon Genesis 1000 Summit 650.

yeah those pyramid ceramic things I remember those too
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Olympian
    I have a ga style old gas portable grill that
    uses lave rocks. Actually cooks rather well but is heavy !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H. View Post
    Chris, have you ever seen Weber's first gas grill that was styled to look like a kettle? Yep, it came with lava rocks..... and they did collect grease, and had some grease fires from the rocks.
    That thing was the worst. My parents bought one and what a piece of caca.

Many very high end grills (Viking to name one) uses a combo of those ceramic "briquettes" and tents (flavorizer bars) and actually that combination works quite well. My BroilMaster had 2 different type things available and I tried them both. Briquettes and ceramic tiles. They each had different cooking results. The tiles were perforated plates and actually would act very similar to an Infrared (a REAL IR grill) not the CharBroil version. It would get small jets of flame and the tiles would glow red hot. Putting something down on that grill would sear in a flash. WAY WAY faster and better than anything Weber could do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12