Brisket Cook Time Question

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
My niece is graduating from college this weekend (I don't know how it's possible that she's old enough) and she wants a low-key hang out at her house kind of celebration. She, her sister, and their boyfriends love my pulled pork...so I'm definitely doing some of that. But, I know that they also like brisket. I've done one flat so far and it turned out fine. I didn't wrap it, just threw it on the WSM and let her go. I could easily just do a couple of butts and have plenty of pulled pork, but I'm thinking I want to try and do brisket. So, I'm trying to kinda guesstimate how long I'd spend cooking.

If I do it, I'm thinking about getting a 12-14 lbs. packer and foiling it at the stall (using aluminum foil) and riding it out from there. I know that the butts usually take me about 12-13 hours. How long, give or take, would a brisket that size normally take? (Yes, I realize that you can only estimate, but I know that some of you have done enough of these that you can tell me within an hour or two.)

Thanks in advance, y'all!!!

I don’t water or wrap and I have found a 14 lb Packer will run about 12-14 hours.
Just as you have posted, sometimes a little less, but I don’t know that you can get too much more fine tuned than that. There are always too many variables. If it’s a “low key hang out at her house” who really cares, figure on twelve hours and if it takes longer, hang out longer.
Have a dandy time!

I don’t water or wrap and I have found a 14 lb Packer will run about 12-14 hours.
Just as you have posted, sometimes a little less, but I don’t know that you can get too much more fine tuned than that. There are always too many variables. If it’s a “low key hang out at her house” who really cares, figure on twelve hours and if it takes longer, hang out longer.
Have a dandy time!

Thanks Timothy!! I didn't clarify this in my OP...but, she lives about a 25 minute drive from my house and I'm too lazy to haul my WSM over there, so I was planning on trying to get it done and then take it over to her house and slice there after it's been in the cooler for a little bit.

At 250 a 12-14 lb brisket should take 7-9 hours. And need about 3 hours rest. So figure 12 hours total.

Definitely braise that thing in foil after about 5-6 hours in smoke

I think I will stand by my earlier comments, the brisket will hold just fine in the cooler until feasting time.

Timothy- That's what I was figuring...you and I were on the same page. Mike says 7-9 @ 250. Are you cooking at 225*? Or is the cook length difference just other factors that we haven't discussed?

Dan, since you are doing slow pork , assuming, you have the grate space, I would say go slow but start 1-2 hrs earlier. Holding in a blanket and cooler for 3-4 hrs is fine. Haven't been back here for a while, and don't know what the current feelings are, but I have done more brisket HH than low. I have found the results about the same but the time spent much less. Since you are cooking at home and then transporting, suit yourself!
Mark

I generally will put a brisket on at about eleven PM and go to bed, get up about six, check the temp, adjust if necessary, go back to bed until nine, check things again, have breakfast, do all that “stuff” that needs to be done prior to a feast, add coal if needed, crack a beer (by now it’s lunchtime and it going to be a party) have lunch, finish seating/ feasting accommodations, probe for tender, pull and wrap as necessary and tuck it in a dedicated cooler.
When time comes for the grand entrance,slice that rascal and watch for smiles, I rarely hear much for about half an hour, just the sounds of gustatory indulgence!
No matter what you do, it will be great! Patience and Faith are all a good brisket feast really requires.
Have a grand day!

The brisket will likely take less time than the pig. I usually plan on a 12 hour cook for brisket, but it never takes more than nine or so at 250 degrees.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be doing this cook on two different smokers because I want to use two different woods (apple for the pork and oak and a hunk of mesquite for the brisket). I'll be running both the 14" and the 18" WSM. (Figured that I would do the butt on the 14" and the brisket on the 18". Planning on the usual 10 lbs. Boston Butt and a 11-12 lbs. brisket, probably smoking both right at 250*.) In addition to the meats, I'm also planning on making some smoked mac and cheese. So, I was just trying to plan out my attack. I know my finish time has to be no later than about 5:00 p.m. I know that butts usually take me 13 hours...and that timeframe is pretty consistent. I have no problem holding things in a cooler. I just want to have it all together and ready to leave the house by 5:30. Will slice the brisket and pull the pork once I arrive at the party.

My suggestion would be to plan to be done about three hours earlier than you actually want. A three hour hold in a cooler won't hurt either meat but taking longer because something didn't turn out quite as planned could put a damper on the whole thing. I've found BBQ is a lot better when everything goes slow, including the cook. Rushing to finish is no fun.

I would also suggest that once you have a couple hours of smoke on, pushing the temp to 275F or even a little more won't hurt and will assist in pushing both cuts through the stall.

A packer usually takes 5 hours high and hot. Perfect every time with no stall. I’d back off to 4.5 hrs, leave it wrapped, and it will finish on the way.

Back