Shelf Life of Air dried wood chunks

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Does anyone know what the shelf life of air dried wood chunks are before their effectiveness depreciates?

I've been smoking for about 2 1/2 years. Until a couple months ago I used chunks purchased from local box stores and/or Amazon. Then I purchased a small box from Fruita Wood Supply and fell in love with it. I had a similar question and on reply #9 Bob Bass advised that he is led to believe it is 6 months. There may be additional detail on that thread that will be of value. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73202-Fruita-Wood-Supply-new-baby-steps-needed

Depends on the moisture content when shipped, and how you store it.
I get a year out of Smoknlicious chunks. ( cause that's when my supply runs out) I store them in my garage ( out of the sun) in cheap dollar store laundry baskets ( so they can breathe )
Granted I don't buy a lot of fruit wood besides wild cherry ( which is actually a hardwood) so YMMV, but Hickory, Red, White Oak, Sugar Maple , Alder is what I use and IMO you can smell and taste the difference:wsm:

Tim

OK, devil’s advocate on this.
I live where cherry trimmings, chunks are pretty easily available; when is “too soon” for freshly trimmed smoke media?
I trimmed a “silver maple” into five inch chunks, I have heard differing opin on that, should I just toss that in the fireplace?

OK, devil’s advocate on this.
I live where cherry trimmings, chunks are pretty easily available; when is “too soon” for freshly trimmed smoke media?
I trimmed a “silver maple” into five inch chunks, I have heard differing opin on that, should I just toss that in the fireplace?

There’s probably a meter that can read the moisture content but I think it’s ready when you can split it easily. Firewood is seasoned (left to dry) for a year but time would be correlated to the size of the cut of wood.

However the main reason I’m responding to your post is to echo the opinion of those that have told you that the best place for silver maple is in the fireplace/fire pit. It may impart a smoke flavor but there are so many better woods, that at the very least, it’s way down on the bottom of the list.

Silver maple may be considered a hard wood but it rots quickly when it hits the ground,took 3 out of the yard and give it away for fire wood,drys out quickly and is a fast burner

Back