Next up: A battle-worn Q200

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I agreed to locate and restore a grill for a co-worker and neighbor. I am doing it at cost for my nonprofit organization employer as a special thank you for her family being a big help this winter in our busy season here. My co-worker said she had previously used a neighbor’s Weber Q where she used to live and loved the transportability of it. They have 4 kids, so I confined my search to a Q200/2000 series, trying to stay in my limited budget.

Before tax season was over, I found this tired out Q200 with a stand and got the seller from OfferUp to come down to $40 for it all. It has been waiting in my overflowing grill shed, and it’s turn is at hand;).

The stand just needs cleaning and some “back to black ” treatment. The grill is much more worn out:

10en415.jpg

64jakj.jpg

2h3zwv8.jpg

2ijkocn.jpg

This one is going to need more than just a lot of cleaning. I am planning on trying Bruce’s method for a full hood stripping and then repainting it red. The textured finish is beyond salvage, so it will have a smooth top. I just hope with Rustoleum High Heat red and high heat gloss coat that I can get even half as good results as he did. If you have seen some of his Q restorations, you will know what I mean:cool:!

Last edited:
I agree. It will clean up fine. Just take the angle grinder with wire wheel to it, inside and out and then repaint it like we discussed before. It will come out looking great.

Good luck Jon!

The burner holes are likely to be quite plugged up, it took a while to clean them out on my Q200.

Which stand did it come with, the 6549?

Good luck Jon!

The burner holes are likely to be quite plugged up, it took a while to clean them out on my Q200.

Which stand did it come with, the 6549?

Yes, I am sure you are correct about the burner. I will say the burner looks better than the rest of the grill. Maybe it is a newer replacement.

The cart is apparently Weber 6507, the older style with a wire rack and the older Weber wheels. Just looks dirty and with fade on the black plastic parts. Both should be remediable with a little effort. I will definitely post pictures of progress, including the cart.

That's a great price with the stand. It took me months* to find a stand for my Q200. I was willing to buy a grill+stand combo if needed, but they were either too far from me and/or would be snatched up at the price I was willing to pay.

*I finally found a 6549 about 40 miles from my house last night.

I have a Q200 stand for sale right now. No bites on it in over a week. But, I know how that goes trying to buy stands for the older Q grills. I tried to find one for my parents Q100 a couple years ago and found they don't make them any more. Finally, when I got into grill rehabbing, I realized there were some for sale second hand, but like you said, most of them came with the grill. The reason I have just a Q200 stand for sale is that the guy didn't want it when I sold him the grill stand combo.

Years ago kmart had stands for 13.00 . So I bought 2. My q220 is on one. The other stand is waiting for me to find a baby q.

Back