Pork Cushion on the 14.5

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Today, I did my first go with a Cushion. To my surprise, the Cushion was actually three! So the cook was 3 3lb. Cushion roasts.
The roasts were tied with butchers twine.
I'm learning how to cook with the 14.5. Old school technique. No real mods, no algorithms, no fans...no thermometer except the one Weber provided.
Just open all vents 100% and let it fly. Cook temps ranged from 225-275. Average temp probably 250.
The smallest cushion took 8 hours to get to 200. the other two took 9 hours and they measured 186 and 195.
They are all resting in foil with No.5 sauce and mixed berry jam for some sweet. Since they are boneless and tied...my plan is to slice , rather than pull.
The roasts are the size of a jumbo grapefruit post cook.

I'm not going to lie. I had to google that! It definitely seems interesting. Good luck. I'm guessing slicing is probably the right way to go.

Yeah it's probably fine to pull too. I'm not clear on whether it's something normally part of the picnic or if they always cut it separate. I guess it's kind of the like the way people have figured out all the muscles of the pork butt.

Pluses:
very good flavor
lean
quick cook
easy to slice when cooled

Minuses:
very lean
less moist-very little fat
different mouthfeel-more texture
lower cost

Summation:
It is both different and good
If a good butt is a 5, a cushion is 4.5

I see pork butt everywhere. Never seen or heard of pork cushion before. If I ever see one it would be interesting to try.....

Guys I stumbled over it at Gordon Food Service. The mgr. said BBQ joints were using it...more yield and less up front cost. Well I'm not sure many real joints are switching but there is a place for it.

The Mgr. also introduced me to Cow Tenderloin. 1/2 the cost of beef tender. It is like a tender with grit. More texture for sure. Not bad for $5 lb.

Back