Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fowl frustration!

By and large, all I ever see are five pounders. Every now and then I'll some bigger one, but never more than about 7 lbs.

BD

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Well, the 7+ made everyone very happy as Peruvian twirly bird! I will do it again in a heartbeat!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    Well, the 7+ made everyone very happy as Peruvian twirly bird! I will do it again in a heartbeat!
    ....and, really, this is what matters!

Ya know I was recently in the market and I tried looking for birds as big as you guys are describing and honestly the largest birds I could find (without going to a roaster or stewing hen) were about 5.5lbs

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Thanks Rich, you hit it right on the head, it’s all about the eating!
    The few leftovers were turned into a simple chicken salad using the green sauce, I was out of celery but the simple set up was delicious!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    I usually buy a twin-pack of fryers at BJs that each clock in at about 4-5 pounds. I think they're Purdue or Tyson? This past weekend, I wanted to cook a single and got a 4.5 lb store-brand (Giant food stores) "organic" which was on sale for $1.29/lb (the ones at BJs are $0.95/lb). I prepared it following this recipe: http://howtobbqright.com/2018/05/03/...moked-chicken/ and cooking in my JJ with a stacker ring. It was probably about the best roast chicken I've ever cooked.

22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

Quote Originally Posted by ChadVKealey View Post
    I usually buy a twin-pack of fryers at BJs that each clock in at about 4-5 pounds. I think they're Purdue or Tyson? This past weekend, I wanted to cook a single and got a 4.5 lb store-brand (Giant food stores) "organic" which was on sale for $1.29/lb (the ones at BJs are $0.95/lb). I prepared it following this recipe: http://howtobbqright.com/2018/05/03/...moked-chicken/ and cooking in my JJ with a stacker ring. It was probably about the best roast chicken I've ever cooked.
    Organic seems to be the best choice for chicken. We did an organic from H-E-B over the weekend and it was our best as well. Janis made a marinade with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped rosemary and garlic and I cooked it on the top grate of a WSM with nothing but a Kingsford and couple of chunks of pecan fire down below -- all vents wide open. Added some honey and dijon to the marinade and cooked it in a pot for a bit, then brushed it liberally on the bird during the cook. About 30 minutes per side. Easy peasy.

I like the "bed of herbs" idea -- have to try that. Thanks for the link.

Jeff
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but either way the cat's not gonna like it much.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hasselberger View Post
    I like the "bed of herbs" idea -- have to try that. Thanks for the link.

Jeff
    Yeah, I can't say that I definitely tasted the herbs in the meat, but it did keep the bottom of the bird from burning. In this case, it was mostly rosemary as a neighbor had given us a whole bag full of it and it was starting to wilt a bit. However, the local bulk produce place has big bags of all different stuff for dirt cheap prices (like $1.50 for a gallon ziplock bag's worth of rosemary or thyme). I rarely buy it because I know I won't use it all and just get what I need at the grocery store for twice the price. This method will make it worth buying in bulk.
    22.5" WSM , Jumbo Joe , SS Performer , PartyQ and lots of

TVWBB Pro
    Not to deviate from the central theme of this symposium, but many herbs will freeze nicely. Rosemary definitely freezes well, being almost like fresh when thawed out. Oregano is also a good candidate. Basil will freeze but ends up much like frozen spinach, all limp and watery when you thaw it. Still tastes okay though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12