Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSM 22.5 PID Settings

TVWBB Fan
    Don't skimp on the fuel, I think you are on the right track there. Set it up as if you are doing a 12 hour brisket every time. The unused coals will just be used next time. Also don't skimp on the lit coals you add, make sure it is at least half a Weber chimney. Most people need to use a full lit chimney and the door propped open just to get much above 300. I assumed you are looking to keep 225 to 250, that is always what I used the WSM for. If you don't give it some fire to work with the graph will look like the Grand Teton's. As long as your WSM and fan are fairly air tight it should work great. Good luck!

Thanks Dan.

I already updated my last post and thinks look pretty good. My smoker is tight. I have gasket on the door and lid. I used a mostly full basket and lit about 15 coals using minion method. I made it to 270 in about 30 minutes and have been +/- 2.5 deg ever since. Probably could be better, but my brisket won't care and that is way closer than when I did it manually.
    Last edited by BigDave; 04-28-2018 at 03:00 PM.

TVWBB Fan
    Great! That is looking as good as it gets right there.

I just dropped it to 250 to see how it handled the lower set point and it looks good.

Now if I can just figure out why the time won't update via the NTP server. It's not 12:41 AM right now in the DFW area. LOL

TVWBB Fan
    One thing to consider by not using an automatic damper is a runaway fire. When I used just the blower on my 18" WSM I often found the fire got too hot (usually after taking the lid off and spritzing or by taking the door off to adjust the fire) and was pulling air in via convection from the completely stationary blower. In those situations there was no way to damp down the fire and I had to manually shut down the lower vent to get things back under control. This often happened at 3:00 AM on a brisket low and slow cook and was the reason I ultimately went to a blower+damper configuration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12