Thoughts on grate setup

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So as most here know I own a Wolf grill. Every last inch of it is solid 304SS (even the cart frame) so rust is not allowed in this grill EXCEPT for the OEM grates which were cast iron and have turned into this
2qcpdar.jpg
and
14tsocj.jpg

So I have RCPlanebuyer designing some new custom SS grates for me. I found a source for the OEM CI grates for about $150 but even though RC's grates would be a substantially bigger investment wife has said let's buy them once and be done. So RC it is! ;)
Now comes a dilemma. Making them one way allows them to sit at the original height (from the heat tents) as the OEM, but due to the design of the grill a different way might be just a touch more "stable" but cause the grates to sit closer to the tents by about .375" from which they already sit pretty close and narrows my work surface by about 1". So I am trying to decide which way I want to go. Investment is the same. Thoughts?

I would go with the way that leaves the grates at the original height. I am basing that on you saying the alternative would be "just a touch more stable". Of course, you don't want wobbly grates, but as long as they are reasonably stable then I think keeping with the original design intent - especially for a Wolf - makes the most sense.

That's too bad about the cast iron. Maybe Chicago area winters are as hard on cast iron as South Florida humidity is on steel frames and carts!

Well, my uneducated thought is to run with the OEM design. As you shared, they are a huge investment and wouldn't it be a shame if you were not happy with the modified design, or making that change resulted in some other unforeseen issue. Given their cost, any risk would scare me away from a design change, especially if the potential benefit were not significant.

I cannot believe I put this in the Q forum. Mod can this be moved to the regular gas grill forum? I feel like an idiot. BTW guys I have contacted RC and asked him to build them in the original width and height as that Wolf can run so hot that I felt more comfortable having the grates at original height. Once my Summit is sold my Genesis Silver B will go back on "the pipe" (NG) and be my "daily driver" like the Summit currently is. I honestly see no real advantage to the Summit 4 series over the older style Genesis. The Genesis gets just as hot only faster, the Genesis is great for rotisserie the Summit kinda sucks at it, the Genesis fire box will not burn through or rust out, the Genesis has just as much grilling space. Honestly the ONLY thing the Summit 4 series is better at is "zoning" due to it's using 4 burners and the spacing of them. Don't get me wrong. If the Summit would have been supported by Weber it would not be going away. But I want to streamline things so it's gonna get dolled up and go on CL and the Wolf will than become the deck's "bad boy" for most all else. Unless RC does not come through for me than all bets are off

Back