Article: Drinking baking soda to combat autoimmune disease

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
"A daily dose of baking soda may help reduce the destructive inflammation of autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, scientists say.

They have some of the first evidence of how the cheap, over-the-counter antacid can encourage our spleen to promote instead an anti-inflammatory environment that could be therapeutic in the face of inflammatory disease, Medical College of Georgia scientists report in the Journal of Immunology.

They have shown that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, it becomes a trigger for the stomach to make more acid to digest the next meal and for little-studied mesothelial cells sitting on the spleen to tell the fist-sized organ that there's no need to mount a protective immune response.

"It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author."

full: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-soda-inexpensive-safe-combat-autoimmune.html

One thing says drink vinegar, another baking soda, who knows? I'm watching for one to tell me to drink BBQ sauce

Back when I was a kid a dash of Bicarbonate of soda in water was what the old folks used for indigestion.
I'm old now so I drink beer, but I like the arthritis angle so I'll ask my Doctor if he agrees. :)

Tim

Back when I was a kid a dash of Bicarbonate of soda in water was what the old folks used for indigestion.
I'm old now so I drink beer, but I like the arthritis angle so I'll ask my Doctor if he agrees. :)

Tim

I'm still looking into it. I was treated for (but didn't respond to treatments) rheumatoid arthritis back in my mid 20s, pills, topical steroid creams etc. It went away with diet/lifestyle changes (stopped smoking, ate a whole lot less <calorie restriction>), but now, ten years later, I think it's coming back or my age is catching up.

When I have heartburn and don't have an antacid available, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a couple of ounces of water works pretty well, but it tastes like s**t. Don't know if it would be worth it for arthritis.

When I have heartburn and don't have an antacid available, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a couple of ounces of water works pretty well, but it tastes like s**t. Don't know if it would be worth it for arthritis.

I drank a 1.5 oz shot of ACV for a laugh (worker drank a bunch for an ailment and said it didn't work for him) today, last night I ate 800mg of ibuprofin, and again this morning, I sure feel a lot better but guess ibuprofen is not a long-term solution.

No. My bil took Ibuprofen daily for several years and lost 60% of his kidney function.

Back