Kansas > Hutchinson: Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
As part of our road trip to Arizona and back last month we stopped for lunch at Roy's Hickory Pit BBQ in Hutchinson, Kansas.
RoysHickoryPitHutchinsonKS20180310_1.jpg

No interior shot, but it's a pretty simple setup. Walk in the door, check out what's available, and order at the counter. Since it was just the 2 of us I got a brisket half sandwich for myself.
RoysHickoryPitHutchinsonKS20180310_2.jpg

She decided she wanted the turkey half sandwich.
RoysHickoryPitHutchinsonKS20180310_3.jpg

Did someone say ribs?
RoysHickoryPitHutchinsonKS20180310_4.jpg

We both definitely liked Roy's. If we ever stop there again I'll order the sauce on the side, but the meats were just fine with it. They didn't seem to have a really strong smoke flavor but they went well with the sauce, which wasn't overly sweet. I did bring a bottle home so I'll be opening it sometime this summer. The ribs had a nice chew and the brisket and turkey were both nice and tender, so we left feeling quite full!

Last edited:
I really enjoy your reviews Brad, especially about some of the out of the way, mom and pop joints.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Bob. I try to take the "blue highways" as much as possible when I travel so I can hopefully find a few good, local places for barbecue and fried chicken.

Back