Some questions around bringing a Genesis Gold C back to life

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
A few days ago I got a Genesis Gold C for free. The grill is complete and in decent shape. It even came with the Weber cover and an empty propane tank. All of that for $0.
31289913_10211674325077260_5394459776811794432_n.jpg

The bad parts are:
The burners and the igniter are shot. The front burner has had large hole on on the inside. And with all the ashes and debris inside it looks like they used it as a charcoal grill. Burner and igniter replacement is not a problem. With a proper cleanup, new burners and a new igniter this grill should be running again.
31280113_10211674326877305_8119241231881469952_n.jpg

The flavorizer bars are encrusted but solid. Looks like the are stainless steel ones. They just need a thorough cleaning. Also the top frame on the left side of the grill pan has a small rust spot. Looks like that can be treated.
31239304_10211674327237314_348986631333609472_n.jpg

And the floor pan is rusted out. This seems to be common although my Silver B which has been sitting outside all its life does not have a rusted bottom panel.
31195520_10211674326997308_7175542990310473728_n.jpg

The bottom left frame piece is rusted but it does not look like it is rusted through. I want to remove the floor panel so that I can treat the frame and then build my own floor panel. Yes I have seen them on various parts sites but I am not willing to spend $190 for a new panel. No idea why a piece of sheet metal is supposed to be that expensive.
I have seen some posts here people describing their own builds of floor panels but I could not find any pictures. The links seem to be broken on a lot posts.
I am basically looking for any ideas how to build a floor panel for that grill which will last me for a while.
Is there a specific rust protector I should use for the rusted section of the frame?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

Last edited:
Stefan, can't see you pictures, photobucket does not allow third party posting unless you upgrade your account to allow it. Which was $400 when I bailed out.

Sorry, I did not know that because I have not used photobucket in years. My account was dormant. I guess I only see them because I am logged in. I removed the links to photobucket and copied the links to my FB. Is that working for you?

Last edited:
Stefan, I can see the photos fine. Looks like a good rehab candidate. How did the cooking grates look?

Flavorizer bars look good. A set of aftermarket burners should be under $20. Some stamped Stainless steel cooking grates will be $25 or so. Better off with solid cooking grates though, either stainless steel rod or cast iron.

Stefan, I can see the photos fine. Looks like a good rehab candidate. How did the cooking grates look?

Flavorizer bars look good. A set of aftermarket burners should be under $20. Some stamped Stainless steel cooking grates will be $25 or so. Better off with solid cooking grates though, either stainless steel rod or cast iron.

The grates looked ok. But if I get it running I am going to swap these with the cast iron grates from my Genesis silver since I prefer solid grates over stamped.
Does Weber now offer fitting solid SS grates for the Genesis B/C or Spirit 300 series? I only recall the stamped ones and solid ones for the newer Genesis models which where to big for the older Genesis.

I am not sure if Weber actually sells stainless grates for the B/C grills, but there are several aftermarket sellers out there and if you want the holy grail of SS solid rod grates, you want to consider a set of RCPlanebuyer Stainless steel rod grates. They will run you a bit over $100 though, but you won't find a better, longer lasting, easier to care for set of cooking grates.

If you want to check into that: go to this craigslist add and contact him through the add and tell him what you are looking for:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6545836481.html

Don't worry about what the add itself is selling.

Stefan,
I think you fell into an obviously unbeatable deal on a great grill. It looks very worthwhile as a ful rehab candidate. I agree with Bruce’s recommendation about the rcplanebuyer grates. He is the best.

My suggestion, that you can take or leave, is to consider converting the grill to an open cart and either replace the bottom with a wire rack or install two horizontal frame bars and leave it completely open. This would eliminate a lot of rust points and make it a much easier grill to maintain.

What a great deal! Yes, you can do different things instead of straight up replacing that bottom pan.

Did some digging: Looks like Weber now has some stainless steel grates: But they are $80 a pair.
https://www.grillparts.com/weber/silver_b.asp?product_id=7639
I will stick with my cast iron grates for now.
But I still need to figure out how to replace my bottom shelf. That original shelf is just freaking expensive.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/bottom-accessory-panel-p-1476753.html

call Weber. My neighbor just replaced his summit 6xx shelf and he paid $80 from Weber.

Nice score!!!

A lot of times you can find the parts on Amazon or even Ebay for less with free shipping. Some of the parts are genuine Weber parts but most are aftermarket. But, I have found the after market parts to be pretty close in quality in most cases.

I disassembled the grill last night. Took the fire box out and removed the rotten bottom shelf. The top cross frame piece where the firebox is bolted to on he left side has a bit more rust than I thought. It is rusted out about 1-2" in length on the side towards the firebox. I will see if I can remove all the rust and clean it out and stabilize it to prevent to rust from spreading further. Also the left lower leg section has some rust where the bottom panel was connected to. The side panels are all good with only some surface rust. Also that grease drawer has some bad rust.
I know I could call Weber for some new parts but I am thinking about finding another donor grill for some of the parts. The lower legs should be interchangeable with the other Genesis or Spirit models. I have seen Spirit 300 grills in good shape as low as $25. I am not in a rush as I have my other still working Genesis Silver.

That frame seems real typical as far as rust goes. Definitely salvageable though. Some of that Eastwood Rust encapsulator will go a long ways in fixing it and preventing further issues. Hit those rust areas with a wire wheel or similar, then some rust encapsulator and then a good high temp paint on areas that are near the fire box. Sounds like you have a wise plan for replacing other parts that you need as well. We will want to see before and after pictures when you get it done.

This is how the hole in the upper support frame looks like. I think that bar is about half way rotten. Would this still be stable if I treat it with rust Eastwood Rust Encapsulator?
And by the way: That pile of rust is where my Fiat was parked. Just kidding... Came from the bottom shelf panel. There was nothing to rescue.
The lower part of the legs are rusted too but not as bad.
31275751_10211682168753347_7400197186077589504_n.jpg

31306863_10211682168393338_4511000483086729216_n.jpg

31311327_10211682171593418_4257000614032048128_n.jpg

Stefan,
I think you might be able to salvage even that cross member, but a replacement for that piece would definitely be a more reliable repair. I am lucky to have a friend who owns a sheet metal shop. I did a restoration of a Genesis Gold with the same problem which is very common, probably because of the trapped moisture and interactions between the steel and aluminum. My friend made me a 304 stainless replacement piece. You might see what it would cost to get that or at least a new regular steel tube. You could use the inserts that are available to bolt the replacement piece in place of where you cut out the presently welded one or go all out and have the replacement welded in.

The rust Encapsulator does amazing things and makes things stronger. It can’t however replace missing metal.

I think you have a very promising grill that is worth the extra effort. Best wishes on a great restoration!

Good Doctor, I had that exact same problem. I cut the rusted out cross member out. Then, I took a removable cross member that I kept from and old donor grill. It had those insert things in it, but it was too long, so I popped the insert out of one end and cut it to length and then put it back in the cut end. Then I just bolted it in.

Start reading on Page 2 of this thread. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72509-Curb-Pickup-on-a-Silver-C-today-BUT!!!/page2

It was a silver C frame, so I certainly didn't want to scrap it.

Jon, can you post a link to where you purchased those inserts. I am going to go ahead and buy a few to have on hand. I am sure I will need them at some point.

Back