Again with the Chile Colorado, Rich?!?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Yeah, the family really likes it, so what are you going to do?!?! This time, I didn't use the pressure cooker, as I was using chicken for the protein, and I didn't want it to get stringy. So, I grilled up a bunch of thighs and a couple of breasts, and while those were getting happy on the 26'er, I made up the sauce on the stove top. It all came together really well, and even had a nice, slow, sneaky heat to it that I enjoyed (I'm sure it would not have impressed some of the chile heads around here!) :)

Mess o' chicken off the grill (I swear there are two breasts under there!):

40950320244_7b0322c7e1_k.jpg

Plated on top of some tomato boullion flavored rice (side of steamed broccoli not pictured):

41660345051_eb3824a6d6_k.jpg

Hope y'all are well!!

R

did you make the first or second (is there a third?) version?

You caught me, Clint.....I tried a third one. :) There does tend to be a great bit of similarity between them all, of course. I loosely followed the recipe below, and I only made the sauce to which I added my grilled and cubed chicken. If I recall, I increased both the cumin and the oregano, and put in a decent dose of Penzey's Chili 3000. I also added a bit of sugar, as there was a bit of bitterness from the peppers that needed neutralizing. I'm not sure I have settled on a favorite yet, but the second one is the current front-runner.....probably because I cooked the pork in the sauce, and, let's be honest, pork fat makes everything better! :)

Yet another Chile Colorado

For the rice, I'm just using regular long grain rice that I sautee a bit in butter, then I mix in 1 Tbs Knorr Tomato boullion per 1 cup dry rice, then I add liquid in a 2:1 ratio (usually half chicken stock, half water), and cook in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Turns out great every time, and my kids always ask, "Are you making the good rice, dad?" ;)

R

Last edited:
I'll be waiting for the 4th, 5th, 6th, version of your Chile Colorado Rich.
Looks awfully tasty from here.

Back