Looking for a NG grill

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I looked at the newer models. Weber's at first and thought the price was high and the build quality wasn't the same ( as mentioned by some of you )
So, feeding a family of 6, give me some options or what would you recommend?:)

Tim

I recommend you find a used Weber. Clean it up, fix it up and spend about 1/3 or less for the same if not better grill.

Terry, the biggest question is what you'd cook on the grill / how you would use it ? For a family of 6, if you are basically just doing proteins, then any of the older 3 burner Weber Genny's would be more than enough. However, if you throw on a bunch of grilled side dishes as well, then you might need the space of a Summit, or perhaps 2 Gennys :)

I would too recommend perhaps 2 older Genesis models (stay clear of ones with front controls) they are not very good performers and don't hold up well. Look for an older Genesis. Buy one or two in decent shape do some rehabbing (good cleaning, maybe new flavor bars, grates and or burners) you will be golden. Or a Genesis with a "Q" backup. But, yeah you're right. The new crop is not worth the $$$$.

I have two gas grills a genesis 2000 LP and a E320 NG with e/w burners both are great durable grills. Both cook well and as stated above you could get two and refurb them and have grills that will last many years for a fraction of the price of one new high end grill.

I have a genesis 1000 and a genesis A that I refurbished several years ago. Couldn't be happier with that combination.

Thank's for the reply's Gent's. I've had a few cheap gassers over the years, one of the better ones was a " Classic " from Costco. SS and the outside shell lasted 15 yrs, but every 2 yrs I was replacing burner tubes, flavorizer bars etc.

I got into charcoal , again round 08 and let it sit.

I thought about rehabbing it, but the parts would of cost me $750 bucks for new everything on the inside. Outside frame was solid as a rock, but I thought why pay that kind of cash and do the 2 yr upgrades again. ( I only paid $ 450 new )

I'll keep an eye on CL for a Genesis . I'm more comfortable redoing houses then grills but if I find one I'll ask you all for pointers:)

Tim

Good idea timothy. You should be able to find a Genesis Silver B or C or Genesis 1000 for under $50. If you are willing to do some work cleaning it up, and want to put in some RCPlanebuyer Stainless cooking grates and Flavorizer bars and buy a good quality set of stainless burner tubes, you will have a grill that will go close to ten years without needing any parts (maybe a $12 igniter) as long as you take care of it. And you can do all this for about $250.

My genesis 1000 is 25 years old this year. And it cooks like a beast.

One Tim to another: Don't be shy about asking any questions you have. Most of us have, and everyone is happy to help. Also, my Genesis is NG, and I LOVE it. The tank never runs out, and there IS no tank! It's really great, you'll love it. Think about a rotisserie :)

Back