Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pit Boss blue egg smoker - need to get adapter to mount Micro Damper

TVWBB Fan
    Yikes, now I can't get anything above 250F. The blower's been on 100% for a while but the temp has been holding steady at just about 250.
    I have the top vent about 1/2 open.
    Is the Micro Damper just under-powered for this smoker?

As a test, at 4:13pm today (after this snapshot was taken, below), I removed the Micro Damper and just left the bottom and top vents wide open. I'll see what happens in about 15 minutes and post another graph.

Last edited by RKHanso; 04-25-2018 at 02:14 PM.

TVWBB Fan
    You can see where I removed the Micro Damper at about 4:13 and the temp dipped, then rose a little bit - and then the fluctuation from no temp control.

I must be operating this new ceramic cooker incorrectly.....

TVWBB Fan
    I put the Micro Damper back on. Added some hardwood to the firebox and it's now up to 275F, but climbing very slowly. The top damper is open wide open (on 3).
    This thing is supposed to get up to 625F according to the instructions.

TVWBB Member
    You should probaly pack the controller away in a closet for a bit and learn to use the kamado without it so you better know how to use it with the controller. I also would suggest reading some of the Pit Boss forum over at kamadoguru, especially the 2016-17 threads.

If I had to guess, you don't have nearly enough charcoal in it, and you probably have the top vent open too far. The fan is blowing out heat faster than it is stoking the fire. You may need to dial back the max fan output and delay when any fan comes on at all. You really shouldn't need any fan to hit and hold 260, or to recover near instantly when the lid is closed.

The Pit Boss will hold 650 no problem, and I have had mine up well over 900. It takes a full load of charcoal to do that and you need to have the charcoal lit from bottom to top to get the extreme temps. A full load of charcoal only partially lit and with the air controlled WAY back will run 250-275 for 12+ hours. If you get too much lit it will be hard to keep it from overshooting and very hard to cool once it gets too hot. A ceramic grill is like a freight train with undersized brakes. It is slow to build momentum and REALLY slow to shed it. Running under 300 means the top vent open well less than the "1" setting, just a bunch of slivers of maybe 1/16" to 1/32" in each opening. With no servo/controller, the bottom vent only needs to be open about 1/8" as well. It takes very little air to hold the low and slow temps but you do want plenty of excess fuel to hold temps steadily. If you have a good seal on the top and bottom (often not the case out of the box) you don't need to worry about wasting charcoal because you should be able to shut the vents and put the fire out when the cook is over. You may need to add some felt gasket material to get it to seal well. If so look for the original review thread on KG and a couple pages in there are some good descriptions and photos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12