Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pit Boss blue egg smoker - need to get adapter to mount Micro Damper

TVWBB Fan

New Pit Boss blue egg smoker - need to get adapter to mount Micro Damper

Hello - I searched, but didn't see what I was looking for. Maybe I used the wrong search terms.

I just bought a "Big Blue Egg" Pit Boss ceramic smoker/grill from Costco. I need to get an adapter to mount the Micro Damper to this new smoker. I have the standard 1" pipe thread on the micro damper.

Is there something I can easily make for this smoker? I was looking for a DIY solution on the forum but didn't find one. I suppose make a plate out of sheet metal that slides into the inlet damper area and put a pipe out the front that I can screw the Micro Damper on?

I'm guessing that the Micro Damper is powerful enough for the 24" diameter Pit Boss smoker, right? I do have a bit stronger blower, but no servo or housing for it.

Thanks.

TVWBB Fan
    I think I found something that will work. Hopefully the finish on it won't be a problem - or the finish will burn off the inside.
    I had some aluminum trim that's white on one side, brown on the other.
    I cut a piece to slide in and will drill a 1" hole and put a pipe in it to mount the Micro Damper on.
    I'll keep the left side long so it's easier to put in and take out - like a handle.

TVWBB Member
    I have the older black version of the Pit Boss and use the RD3 Rotodamper with it. The stock fan is enough to hold the grill at 650+. Once stabilized at lower temps, say 400 or below, the fan shouldn’t run at all and the servo does all the work.

I made a steel slider door for mine with a round hole in it. The RD3 is mounted to a pipe that goes through a smaller steel rectangle with some felt and rare earth magnets. So, when I want to use the controller, it just sticks on. When done, I can pull it off and bring it indoors.

Pictures posted here:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/340...wer-vent-seal/

TVWBB Member
    I forgot to mention, I have the HM setup to use the damper only from closed 0% PID output up to full open at 90% with the fan coming on from 90% to 100%. Technically, the fan will taper its speed between 5% and 50% as the value increases from 90% to 100%, but the reality is that the output rarely falls in that range. In practice the fan is either on (at half speed) or off with it on mostly just for the initial heat up.

The Pit Boss or any ceramic kamado is efficient enough that you can control it just with the servo, but the blower does help get up to temp faster. I have timed it going from first lighting to 400 in about 8 minutes with the RD3 fan blowing (100% startup mode). That is faster than my gas grill could heat up. It takes at least twice that long to start the Pit Boss with no fan and without a controller it is real easy to overshoot on a “quick” startup, so the heatermeter is a great tool that I use almost every time I fire the PB up.

TVWBB Fan
    I'm not sure how long this thin piece of aluminum will hold up. But, I have a bunch of it and can make more if it doesn't last. Or, just use some sheet metal that is a little heavier gauge.
    I didn't use any nuts to hold the pipe on either side. I made the hole in the aluminum just large enough to thread the pipe in it.
    I like the idea of easy removal so I can use the smoker with the damper that came with it when not using the Heatermeter.
    Not sure how air-tight it is without trying it out yet. I'll be smoking a turkey in a couple days.

Last edited by RKHanso; 04-24-2018 at 10:26 AM.

TVWBB Fan
    I forgot to ask. I was tweaking my PID settings with my big 64gal homemade smoker I was using.
    What would be good PID settings for this smoker? It's a 24" outside, 21.5" inside diameter smoker - 26" tall, I think the same size as an XL BGE.

TVWBB Member
    At 21.5” it is actually in between the LBGE (18” grate) and the XL (24” grate).

If you start with the LBGE settings you will be close. I have found different settings work better at different target temps, say 650 vs 250, but there is a wide range of settings that will work well enough.

TVWBB Fan
    I'm not used to a smoker this small. I wouldn't expect it to take such a long time to get back up to temp after opening the lid. Should it take this long? Almost 20 minutes and still not there.

PID Output Parameters
    Proportional 3
    Integral 0.003
    Derivative 6
    Fan output on above 0
    % min 0
    % max 100
    % startup max 60
    % Invert output
    Servo pulse duration
    us -
    us, fully open at
    % Invert output
    A/C input line noise filter

How long was it sitting at 260F before opening the lid? the ceramic cookers take some time to heat soak and tend to recover pretty quickly.

TVWBB Fan
    I'm new to ceramic. Had just a steel water pressure tank before. Big difference.

Here's a longer chart:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast