Maverick Issues?

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I've been using a Maverick ET-733 since I bought my WSM. Last couple of cooks it doesn't seem to respond very will to temp changes in the meat. For instance it will register when the meat has stalled but will not indicate when its coming out of the stall until its over-done. Fresh batteries are being used but I am on the original probes.

Should I replace the probes or invest in a Smoke. The feature I like about the Smoke it can be calibrated where the Maverick cannot.

Last edited:
I had some temperature issues with my Maverick and moved to the Smoke. I really am a lot happier with the Smoke. Works great easy to use and the range seems to be better.

Ive got the smoke, but I still have a Maverick 732 I still use occasionally. The probes seem to be the weak point. Do a boiling water test with them. Don't do that on your stove and let the probe wire get into the gas flame like I did one time.

I've had my Maverick 732 for around 4 years now. It's like the Energizer Bunny. It just keeps rolling along. I did have one probe failure but that's it. I too have moved on to DigiQ and CyberQ but still use the Maverick occasionally. When not using on the smoker, I use it regularly in my proofing box to keep an eye on things.

I've had 3 or more of the Maverick/redi check remote thermometers in 15 or 20 years. I accept responsibility for ruining my 1st one (redi Check) it was left out in the rain. The 732 went through a couple sets of probes before it finally died (battery leak?). On to the 733, PIA to set up, the display on the receiver became barely readable after about a year, had to remove the batteries to turn off the sending unit. I bought the Smoke earlier this year putting the 733 in the trash and have only used it once so far on Venison Bologna. Set up was very easy, I certainly have more faith in the Smoke's accuracy.

I've had my 732 for years, went thru one probe that went bad, but after reading up that most of the problems were at junction where the cable goes into the probe sleeve I took some preventative steps.

Wrapped some hi temp aluminum automotive tape around the junction to give it some strain relief, secure the cable from moving, a seal from moisture.

Both probes have worked perfect for years.

Back