Mr. Brown ???s

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I've been doing pork shoulders on my Weber Kettle and WSM for years. Being in NC, I use a vinegar based sauce when served.

I just recently tried Mr. Brown and found it a little to peppery when combined with the vinegar sauce. I did like the crust.

Has anybody experimented with Mr. Brown by reducing the black pepper or any of the other ingredients?

Just looking to up my game.

Thanks

I used the same recipe. The black pepper seemed to really come through. Not bad but it didn't combine well with the vinegar sauce.

Ahh, are you talking about the southern succor rub? Yeah. I agree with Timothy. You should probably cut the black pepper, if not in the rub, then the easiest thing would be to cut the three tablespoons in the sauce. I like to take recipe's and completely bastardize them. What you might do is use the method and then use your own rub and sauce. I'm bad about never following recipes exactly. Lots of times I'll take the rub from one recipe and the sauce from another or adapt a sauce more to my liking.

Recipes are guidelines, they NEED to be adjusted for personal preference, it’s pretty simple science. Pepper and vinegar are pretty high in pungent higher aromatics, that will lead to a “sharp” flavor. I try to think about every component when I put a recipe together.

Yea. I never used Mr brown but that reads just too peppery for me.
Like Timothy said just tone it down to your tastes.

Tim

I may try this next time:
  • 1 T paprika
  • 2 t light brown sugar
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t ground mustard
  • 1/2 t ground black pepper
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • 1/2 t celery seed

Personally, I’d drop the paprika, really good paprika is pretty temperature sensitive and with high heat(or extended heat) can burn off the sweetness that I look for. And cheap paprika...well, is cheap paprika.
That’s just one man’s opinion.

that rub recipe is my go to for everything. I do cut the pepper down because my gf doesn't care for that much spice. I usually do 1/4 c for a x4 batch. But honestly, if you have 15 lbs of pulled pork and it's in a crock pot or some such, that heat should be distributed pretty evenly.

Back