Don't Eat Romaine Lettuce, Warns CDC

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Don't Eat Romaine Lettuce, Warns CDC

http://www.iflscience.com/health-an...eat-romaine-lettuce-from-this-arizona-region/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have issued a warning about lettuce after an outbreak of E.coli has been reported across multiple states over the last two weeks. The contaminated romaine lettuce was traced back to Yuma in southwestern Arizona, and the CDC advise the public not to buy or consume romaine lettuce that is from the area or of unknown origin.

“Unless the source of the product is known, consumers anywhere in the United States who have any store-bought romaine lettuce at home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick,” the CDC wrote in a statement. “This includes whole heads and hearts of romaine, chopped romaine, and salads and salad mixes containing romaine lettuce. If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.”

So far, 53 cases have been documented across 16 states, and 31 of those have required hospitalization. Five of the people taken to the hospital have developed kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome, which is an extremely serious condition that could lead to lifelong complications and, in a few cases, death. No fatalities have been reported from this outbreak to date.

The first warning was issued on April 10, with 17 people infected across seven states. The number has continued to grow over the last few weeks as the outbreak spreads. The latest warning from the CDC comes after people became ill at a correctional facility in Alaska after eating whole heads of romaine lettuce from Yuma.

The affected states as of today are Arizona, Virginia, Missouri, Louisiana, California, Washington, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska. The appeal by the CDC goes to the public, retailers, and restaurants. E. coli infections are serious, with most caused by the E.coli O157 strain found in the gut and excrement of many animals, particularly cattle and sheep. It can cause diarrhea, blood in feces, vomiting, stomach cramps, and fever.

Tossed what was left of ours a couple of days ago. Bought some iceberg lettuce for the first time in a while.

My romaine came from Tanimura from Cali and on the website they suggested you follow the rules of the CDC and toss it.
Into my compost pile!

Tim

My son got HUS from eColi 157 when he was 18 months old. It nearly killed him, he was in the hospital for six months. His kidneys were all but destroyed, we kept him going until he was 16 years old and he went stage 4 failure. My wife gave him one of hers and he's doing really well now, but it was a rough 14 years from when he got out of the hospital until the transplant (we waited as long as we could) eColi is not to be taken lightly

We like the Tanimura and Antle Artisan romaine hearts from Costco.
There was one head eaten from a fresh bag before the rest got tossed.

A local grocery chain has a sign posted stating their romaine does not come from Yuma, AZ.
I doubt anyone is buying it though.

We had a salad with romaine in it the night before the warnings were posted.
Bought it at Sprouts. Next day, while shopping there, I asked a dude working produce if the romaine was from Arizona.
He said no, they did have some bag salad that had romaine from Arizona that they pulled, but what I bought was fine.
So far... so good!

Back