Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Was wanting to cook an inexpensive beef roast for dinner and have leftovers for sandwiches this week.
Desired something other than tri tip (too many of those of late) and went searching for a sirloin tip roast at the store.
Couldn't find one... ended up coming home with a choice Chuck Cross Rib Roast.
I've never cooked or dined upon this particular cut of beef.

Scruffed it up a bit (went a little overboard with that?), rubbed with sea salt, pepper, garlic salt and cayenne.
Rotisserie cook in the 14.5 over used briquettes and a small split of red oak. Temps around 325*.

ZHz5ETf.jpg

After the first half hour, basted the meat with a mix of butter, garlic, sage, rosemary, k salt and pepper.

yxCFi9R.jpg

Continued basting every 10 minutes or so.

yW8AHxe.jpg

About an hour into the cook, the roast had an internal temp of 125*.
Pulled it, loosely tented with foil while I set the cooker up for searing and let the coals make high heat.
Seared the meat on all sides.

99mfVQQ.jpg

Made a tangelo and red onion salad while the meat was resting.

Toasted some garlic bread.

h1IotVF.jpg

Ready to carve.

IQ67pzH.jpg

A few slices.

fSFs7se.jpg

A little horseradish sauce. Bread & butter. Time To Eat!

BBhyd8L.jpg

Last edited:
Wait!! That looks so good!! What did you think of it?? If pictures are any evidence of how good it tasted,it must have been great. Your basting recipe and the rotisserie cook must have added a ton of flavor. Great cook!!

Wait!! That looks so good!! What did you think of it?? If pictures are any evidence of how good it tasted,it must have been great. Your basting recipe and the rotisserie cook must have added a ton of flavor. Great cook!!

Thanks, Tom. We really enjoyed the dinner. The roast doesn't have the big beefy flavor" of a chuck roast, but it's still very good. Super tender. Going to have some great sammies this week.

Looks terrific Robert. Another outstanding cook and absolutely gorgeous plate. The meat looks perfect and I really like the looks of that Tangelo and Red Onion Salad. Where are you getting the red oak?

Looks terrific Robert. Another outstanding cook and absolutely gorgeous plate. The meat looks perfect and I really like the looks of that Tangelo and Red Onion Salad. Where are you getting the red oak?

Thanks, Cliff.
Went in on 1/4 cord of red oak and apple with a fellow BBQer. Got the wood at a local firewood supplier. They cut it to 9" splits at no charge. Really like the red oak.

You couldn't have cooked that roast better if you were getting paid. Looks amazing, bet the sammys that followed were equally amazing

Robert that cook looks fantastic and that plated pic is over the top. Outstanding job for sure.

I’m not sure just what the cut is, I’ve never heard of a chuck cross rib roast. Can someone enlighten me, please? Looks really delightful!

Back