Does anyone use Royal Oak Ridge Charcoal Briquettes?

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Does anyone use Royal Oak Ridge Charcoal Briquettes? The package says made in the "USA" but are they all natural like Royal Oak Lump ?

I've used it and actually I am burning up my last bag. It's fine for a doing things like steaks burgers etc. where it's all lit. In a snake or minion it doesn't want to light the next coals very well, I much prefer KBB for that type of scenario.
It has a more pleasant smell than KBB and not nearly as much white smoke.
I've also found that if I just let the coals burn out there will be quite a few that don't burn completely.
When this bag is gone I won't be buying anymore, I'll stick to KBB.

I've used them a few times when I couldn't get Kingsford. Dislike them. They don't seem to burn as long or keep heat anywhere near as consistently as Kingsford. As someone else said, fine if your grilling burgers or steaks but for long cooks/minion method, I personally won't use them any more.

I use and love Royal Oak, its the only briquette I use. It smells great and does not have the chemically taste/smell of KBB. It burns a little cooler, burns longer and produces less ash than others I have tried. Most importantly to me it makes less smoke as the unlit briquettes ignite. I think it is ideal for snake or minion method because the food and wood smoke flavors comes through versus the charcoal. I can keep a much more stable temp easier with it, but, I tend to do try to keep lower temps. I do notice I need to add more charcoal or start with a few more lit ones if I want higher temps. I use it for open top grilling, but, I do not think it is ideal for open top grilling because it does not get quite as hot for fast searing,

It is really not comparable to a quality lump charcoa(like Royal Oak lump)l however......that's something entirely different to me. They burn much hotter, are less consistent and burn cleaner IME.

Last edited:

Back