2005 summit platinum????

Shaun Murphy

TVWBB Member
I have a chance to get a 2005 Summit Platinum 6 burner SS for $500 (his original ask is $650) including brand new flavorizer bars and entire ignition system (not sure why thats needed). I personally dont think the bars are bad but he says they are coming apart. light rust is all i see in the photo and with $300 in parts coming in Monday, If I can get him to cancel the order on parts and get the grill for 2-250, that seems like a solid deal to me.

Even not, $500 for the grill with new ignition system i could resale and flavorizer bars I could hold on to seems legit. would only need 6 burners 6-8 times a year so running through 20# tanks wouldn't be an issue as i have 3 full spares always.

I would be selling a weber *cough*spirit e-310 *cough* and a genesis silver A to cover costs. I don't want to turn into a hoarder. must fight the urge!!!

thoughts?

I cant upload photos at the moment, sorry! just picture super clean grill with above details!!!

Edit* Also does not come with the rotisserie and they do not offer kits for this grill. Will the 6 burner rotisseries for the LX fit?

Last edited:
Personally, i would stick with the Spirit and Silver A. But, hey, if you want to feed the whole neighborhood a few times a year, then go for it. Just make sure you are not getting into a money pit.

Is that the one I saw on CL? Honestly look at the front of the fire box. This is a sore point for ALL Summit grills look for signs of it rusting out. If it is it may still be under warranty and if the seller is the original owner and if the Weber support gods don't let him down the way they let me down he can claim a new fire box for you. Than this would be an outrageously nice grill BUT IMO not a $500 grill. Though certainly FAR better than ANY $500 new grill bar none. The issue is that if Weber has not yet quit supporting it rest assured with the new Chinese bosses they soon will. So you'd be spending an AWFUL lot of $$ for something that will soon be orphaned by it's parents.
Good luck!

Yeah. Deal is done. I am passing. He wouldn't drop the new parts. I can tack weld the flavorizer bars so saving $200 right there. Come to find out it is his parents, at their house. the story gets deeper, stranger by the minute. almost as if he is going to sell their grill without them knowing. just one of those strange feelings, gotta go with your gut even if its wrong.

Thanks!!!

Hey Shaun,

That all may be for the best. This is coming from someone who has bought not one, but TWO, current version Summits with no progress and grave doubts that either will ever grill again:

Seeing a Summit grill for a good price on Craigslist or OfferUp reminds me a little of the time I went to a barbecue place in South Carolina where you got your meat by the pound at a serving counter with all the the smoking and great stuff visible behind the servers. The proprietor was no dummy and had very attractive friendly young ladies help you with your choices. Everything looks so good and the cute server is there encouraging you. My friend and I came back to our table with a combined purchase of over $120:eek:! Probably needless to say, in spite of how good it was there was NO WAY that we could eat all that.

Summit grills are a little like that. They are so impressive and you see yourself captaining this monster grill to some great bbq destination. Your ego gets involved as you think about finally being the owner of the “top of the line” Weber you used to just wish over when it was new. But then, reality sets in. Fireboxes that rust through, complex construction, expensive parts and quite possibly inadequate support from Weber. What are you really going to do with $120 worth of bbq - I mean with this heavy, complicated grill? And a good question that should be asked is what can that Summit do that two easy-to-rehab, easy-to-maintain Genesis grills can’t? You just have to try to ignore the pretty server asking “Are you sure that’s all you want?!!;)

Last edited:
What about this one...?

q0auyIo.jpg

The seller wants $90 bucks for it, what do you guys think? Should I bite? I know there are problems with the firebox and stuff and are these as easy to rehab like the old school Gennys?

I just came back from a friends home that has a summit. I forgot that he had it although I should have remembered it as we used my truck to get it, he bought it new from ace hardware.
With all the talk about the front panel rusting out I had to take a look. Yep some rust in the front of the firebox, not super bad but very visible. That really surprised me as rust isn't allowed in Arizona. With our super dry high desert environment nothing rusts here. I guess the Weber summits are the exception.

Last edited:
I just came back from a friends home that has a summit. I forgot that he had it although I should have remembered it as we used my truck to get it, he bought it new from ace hardware.
With all the talk about the front panel rusting out I had to take a look. Yep some rust in the front of the firebox, not super bad but very visible. That really surprised me as rust isn't allowed in Arizona. With our super dry high desert environment nothing rusts here. I guess the Weber summits are the exception.

Rich, I think what probably happens is that the grease locks in moisture from the cooking process. The sheet metal in the front apparently suffers from the worst temperature swings and in time the porcelain cracks. Then the locked in moisture has a place to go to work, even in AZ:eek:! Of course, in my subtropical south Florida swamp the whole frame would probably have rusted away by that time:mad:!

What about this one...?

q0auyIo.jpg

The seller wants $90 bucks for it, what do you guys think? Should I bite? I know there are problems with the firebox and stuff and are these as easy to rehab like the old school Gennys?

Eye catching and sharp.

No, it is not as easy or cost effective to renovate and maintain as a classic Genesis. Also doesn’t have E-W burners, and I don’t think this model has a rear infrared so not too great for rotisserie if you are interested in that. In the end, a 4 burner is not really much bigger than a Genesis. Same issues as other Summits as discussed in this thread and others.

My personal philosophy about Summits is summed up in my earlier post above. I wish I would have learned sooner:eek:.

Obviously, others see it differently. You might buy it and love it. If the firebox is OK - a really big IF - then $90 seems very fair to me.

Last edited:
I'm also a big fan of east west burners, and the Genesis 3000 I have has plenty of room to cook. I got married in my back yard and the CATERER used the Genesis without a problem, and we had about 65 people. No problem.

Back