Flat Iron Steak

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Have been wanting to cook one of these for quite some time. Local market had CAB Flat Iron steak on sale for a good price.
Had to give it a go.

Made a rub:
1 tsp K salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper, 1/2 tsp smoked paprica and 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
Coated the steak both sides, pressed the rub into the meat and drizzled with evoo.

Broke out the JJ for this cook. Recycled Weber briquettes and mesquite for smoke. A fairly hot fire.

x5Co9Jh.jpg

The steak was pretty thin, so cooked about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Added some knob onions after the first flip.

bxPyM50.jpg

Let the meat rest loosely tented with foil for 10 minutes while the onions continued to grill.

cPr7lUG.jpg

A few slices...

CdJtCkR.jpg

Some chimichurri, some steamer & it's Time To Eat!

I5HprsG.jpg

Damn good!

Last edited:
Holy cow (pun intended)!!! Very nice! Gorgeous onions and perfectly cooked med-rare. Doesn't get much better. Congrats, Robert!

Looks delicious Robert. We eat those quite a bit in our house, usually the perfect size for the three of us.

That's as good as it gets. How was your desert run? Were you crawling or railing?

That's as good as it gets. How was your desert run? Were you crawling or railing?

Thanks, Chuck.
Had lots of fun in Sand Hollow State Park - Hurricane, UT. Rock crawling.

TWndS8E.jpg

J7sf6us.jpg

cAhSBbI.jpg

Spent the whole time doing trails rated 9 out of 10. A small group of 5: 3 rock buggies & 2 trail rigs.

Friends with rock buggies got us through the real tough stuff. Took some bypasses... a lot of winching.
A fair amount of cussing, fear, even considered getting religious sometimes.
Was one our side more than once. Didn't break anything. Lots of scratches. Killed a bikini top.

Seeing the plates that some of you post I believe you could own your own 5-star restaurants. Robert-R is definitely inclusive of that list!

Wow Robert, great looking cook and awesome Rock Crawling pics.

Ill take a plate of this Flat Iron Steak anytime.

I really like this shot..

Thanks for posting.

Robert, you nailed that one out of the ball park. Cooked just right and the sides perfect. Your rock climbing pics are something else, looks like fun but I'll pass.

Back