Direct smoking on the Weber kettle \m/

Mike Smith DFW

TVWBB Member
I found out in the past, that for me the flavor I get cooking direct over the coals is unmatched. For me fat dripping on coals is a big component of the flavor. I also believe it creates a humid environment and leads to more juicy meat.

I wanted to try it on a kettle because if I could do that then I can use one cooker for both grilling and smoking.

It turned out amazing and I think the kettle may eventually become my only charcoal cooker.

Anyone else smoke direct over the coals on a kettle?

I have smoked directly over coals, but not on a Kettle. I agree that drippings directly on the coals results in a different flavor profile; sometimes I like the added taste that it brings but I don't want it on every smoke that I do. I can indeed tell the difference between the two methods and I like a variety, so I use both methods. Probably more without drippings on coals. If you want that taste exclusively and can successfully dial-in your Kettle for smoking then you may have saved a chunk of change :)

A drum smoker may be the only way to get enuf distance between your fire and food to not be grilling,controlling the fire temp at grate level is critical,not impossible but tough enuf for me to not attempt

The problem I had at first was getting enough heat at the grate level.

I have had three drums. They are awesome . But i started with the coals at 32" distance, then to 20,then to 15 and finally to 12".

That got me thinking at 12" I'm not too far away from kettle territory. Raise the cooking grate a little, drop the charcoal grate a little and I'm at 8 inches.

It ended up working amazingly well. It was the juiciest chicken I've ever eaten period.

I'm doing a brisket this weekend

Are you just doing a single layer of coals? I don't see how you maintain that temp.

I was a little worried to but I knew it would work.

I used a full chimney if lump dumped on the bottom of the bowl and lit a few.

The grate is raised to the top of the kettle by stacking it on another grate. I covered the factory vent holes and drilled two new holes to attach my heater meter damper

A stacker would make smoking with your kettle much easier and give you more control.

That is my preferred method.

25077051837_34e716f6f2_b.jpg

25043008837_d3231ceb41_b.jpg

Seldom could I get it to work right on the WSM even with the ATC, let alone the kettle. Even heat distribution was an issue for me. If someone can pull it off my hats off to you! :)

More times than not I will even use the WSM for the Roti instead of the kettle now. But they both have their place. As mentioned don't always want that flavor profile. Well I usually do but not everyone does.

26041670908_8f83bc77e2_b.jpg

Ok i created an imgur account so I can post images

blocked factory vents because my one touch wheel was old and rust
LWnzUT7.jpg

the "charcoal basket"
NGMt4Wi.jpg

Brisket in the rain today. this was after four hours of smoke and I flipped it after 2 hours
L49LlWg.jpg

Chicken I did a couple of days ago at 250
Wwux7p1.jpg

this is only my second cook so the heatermeter has not got full control of the pit yet. but Im getting closer with the settings. It also rained heavily today and that messed things up as far as pit control

Be48WqR.png

Last edited:
I dont know if its related but this is the fastest I have ever cooked a brisket. grate temp wasnt hot either. for the most part 250 degrees or less.

In 4 hours I normally hit 145 degrees. this one was at 158° after 4 hours. I usually hit 203 degrees in 7-8 hours. this one got there in 5.5 hours!!!

I cant describe how much better this brisket is than any ive ever made, and Ive made some really good ones. my wife says ( and I agree ) that this is the juiciest, most tender brisket she has ever had. I had a feeling it was going to be good because when I cooked chicken direct in the kettle it was surreal how juicy the breast meat was.

pics. thanks all for looking at the thread and for posting.

8Izyv0M.jpg

4mYnMP9.jpg

siETauS.jpg

QI8roce.jpg

A drum smoker may be the only way to get enuf distance between your fire and food to not be grilling,controlling the fire temp at grate level is critical,not impossible but tough enuf for me to not attempt

I have the pit barrel cooker. My ribs hang 1/2 over the coals..the short thinner ends!

They are cooked the same as the thicker/wider ends on the hooks. ZERO burning! amazing

Ah. I see how you do it now! Pretty clever!

Hey thanks much. The kettle might be the ultimate smoker for small cooks. Why do I say that?

The fire is close to the meat so less air turnover and more humidity.

The chamber is pretty small so less moisture is needed to maintain relative humidity.
It cooks FAST

I did a pork shoulder yesterday and checked humidity. 25-32 percent!!!
I wrapped in foil and humidity was still 16-20 percent(not a great wrap job as it stalled at 192.)

I finished in the oven where humidity was between 2 and 6 percent.

I'm really liking kettle smoking

I really like the benefits of kettle smoking and WSM smoking! The various end results are simply....
Delicious!

Yes!
I haven't used a wsm but I can imagine it turns out excellent q (Harry Soo as an example)

I see some kettle advantages:
Lower cost
Can grill and smoke
Smaller and easier to transport
Easier to clean

But the wsm has advantages too:
Can cook a lot more food.
Probably easier to manage the fire

Until I got a WSM I did everything on my 22” kettle and I mean everything! They are different critters to say the least.i honestly kind of like my old style kettle smoked pulled over the WSM, I might use it again for a birthday party in mid June.
Smoke day? WSM for a John Wayne birthday celebration, might have some music buddies over to eat, drink and pick!

Back