Genesis E-310 or Genesis 1000 restore

Joe M Franklin

I am switching to NG and have a choice: convert my Genesis 1000 or buy an E-310 for about $350.

The 1000 grates and flavorizer bars likely need to be replaced in 3-4 years but are fine for now. The firebox paint is not great (particularly on the bottom), but it works fine. I do have some issue with colder spots in the front of the grill. It is likely going to cost $125 to convert to NG between the orifices, fittings, tubing, etc.

The E-310 is available, in very good condition, and is already set up for NG. Based on research, once concern with the E-310 is the closed compartment under the grill.

Any advice? Any key issues I am missing?

Thanks,
Joe

Is the E310 the new style? (front controls). If so stay with the 1000. I have cooked on both and the 1000 is far better and far more versatile

I agree with Larry. The front control 3-burner E-310 to me is not nearly as good as the earlier E-300 series with the side control "E-W burners". I would rather have a 1000 that is in nice shape than one of those. The older 300 series "E-W burners" is, in my opinion, a great blend of the classic Genesis 1000 burner layout with a larger grill size and taller hood. Seems like it would be an excellent rotisseries grill and more even cooking for regular grilling.

$350 seems a little steep, unless that grill is in REALLY GOOD condition. I am seeing decent ones here for $250. As far as the closed-in cabinet, it is the fact that the bottom, sides and back are all painted steel. Look carefully at this. If it was kept out of the elements and these look OK, then just be prepared for extra maintenance. Regular cleaning to keep dry and even waxing will help. Another trouble spot is the bottom of the legs which tend to collect moisture and water above the casters. In time they rust through and then you will be like so many others having to prop your grill up on bricks:p! If you buy this grill I would take off all the casters and then clean and treat with rustproofing inside each leg.

mbq36d.jpg

The conversion is pretty easy. Best way is to find a complete manifold. Minus that option you need to know on the 1000 just changing the orifices will NOT work correctly. So modifications to the actual valves are in order to do a proper (safe) conversion to NG. I would also invest in a cheap manometer so you know the actual gas pressure at your grill outlet. I would also check it with all gas loads on max in the house and with all loads off so you know exactly what you have

Here is another vote for the 1000. Great grill, good availability of parts, and with some TLC it can last a lifetime.

I would go with the Genny 1000 as well. Mine is 25 years old and cooks like a champ.

I have an early E320 and a Genny 1000 that I bought new in 1999. They both cook about the same, my E320 is NG and the 1000 is propane. The E320 is a little taller and the grill area is a little bit larger. Both have E-W burners. The Genny is more of a classic look where as the E320 is more modern looking. Being that rust isn't allowed here in AZ the cabinet isn't a problem like it appears to be in humid places.
If you want to do some custom work a 1000 is the one to get, there is not a whole lot you can do with the E series to change the look of it like nice stained wood slates for shelves. I changed out my 1000 chassis to a 2000 chassis which is wider and has a shelf on the right hand side and I added a right hand flip up shelf.
Either one would serve you well.

This one has the front controls. Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the 1000 and look to convert it to ng.

Joe, I responded to your PM as I have a NG manifold for a 1000 as I needed a propane manifold and Jon another member helped me out. That is what we do here then if you wish you can post the Propane Manifold for sale as their is going to be someone looking for one eventually.

Joe, I responded to your PM as I have a NG manifold for a 1000 as I needed a propane manifold and Jon another member helped me out. That is what we do here then if you wish you can post the Propane Manifold for sale as their is going to be someone looking for one eventually.

I have had the same experience on this forum :)

Back